SUSEUnbound
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
openFate
Making do with parts you have. Fatelogo_small openFATE - openSUSE feature tracking
Similar topics
Latest topics
» Difference between 42.2 and 42.1
Making do with parts you have. Emptyby findoctr Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:53 pm

» openSUSE Leap 42.1 ?
Making do with parts you have. Emptyby findoctr Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:09 pm

» Happy Turkey Day
Making do with parts you have. Emptyby findoctr Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:45 pm

» Happy 4th of July!
Making do with parts you have. Emptyby bozo Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:56 pm

» It's been a while ...
Making do with parts you have. Emptyby bozo Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:34 pm

» Mondo chillers
Making do with parts you have. Emptyby bozo Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:11 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
IRC Channel
You can also find us on IRC's freenode.net as #suseunbound.

Making do with parts you have.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
bdquick
Admin
bdquick

Making do with parts you have. Empty
PostSubject: Making do with parts you have.   Making do with parts you have. EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 9:44 pm

Acquired a free computer today but it didn't have a power supply. Wanted to make sure it runs before spending money on it. So I frankensteined a couple of PCs together.

Click here to see
Back to top Go down
MattB4
Old Regular
MattB4

PostSubject: Re: Making do with parts you have.   Making do with parts you have. EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 7:00 am

How did it work?

Thinking of the subject; I just recently went into Spring cleaning mode and threw out a bunch of old computer stuff. It was amazing how much cables, old hard drives, cases, dial up modems, video cards and other components I had built up over time. Many of these things are now outdated and serve no purpose. But being afflicted with packratitis I tend to hold onto things "just in case" for some time. I even tossed 3 old printers, 2 CRT's and a ton of old manuals.

I do have a spare new 350 watt power supply left that I bought for some reason. I expect it will come in handy at some point.
Back to top Go down
https://suseunbound.canadaboard.net
bozo
Admin
bozo

Location : Way out in the sticks in the Gold Country of California

PostSubject: Re: Making do with parts you have.   Making do with parts you have. EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 11:47 am

Looks very familiar. Very Happy If you were closer I'd have been happy to loan you one of my half dozen or so "spares".

I should do some cleaning out myself. My son left his "museum" in my shed when he moved out. stuff all the way back to an 8" floppy drive and an acoustic modem. Just can't bring myself to toss the stuff, and, besides, he claims someday he wants it back. Just doesn't have room for it now. But right now I don't have room *because* of it. Oh, well.

clown
Back to top Go down
welan
Admin
welan

PostSubject: Re: Making do with parts you have.   Making do with parts you have. EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 8:15 pm

The penguin still has a "Brother" word processor that works. You know the so called portable model (exact model # escapes me atm) The mrs's got a bit up tight will me a few months back when she discovered I had over 60 computers stored about the igloo.
Back to top Go down
bdquick
Admin
bdquick

PostSubject: Re: Making do with parts you have.   Making do with parts you have. EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 9:10 pm

60 affraid That might make you a hoarding penguin. I suspect its still around someplace, but I used to have brother word processor too. Mine was just an electric typewriter basically with some memory and a single line to "edit" your document.
Back to top Go down
bozo
Admin
bozo

PostSubject: Re: Making do with parts you have.   Making do with parts you have. EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 1:52 am

With 60 you might have me beat. But, like I said, most of them are my son's "museum", so maybe I don't qualify as a hoarder? (Don't ask my wife. Hmm, think that might be part of the reason she bought her own house?)

clown
Back to top Go down
bdquick
Admin
bdquick

PostSubject: Re: Making do with parts you have.   Making do with parts you have. EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 10:18 pm

I did finally get around to buying a power supply, unfortuantely it doesn't quite align with screw holes so think I'll just use double sided tape lol.
Back to top Go down
bozo
Admin
bozo

PostSubject: Re: Making do with parts you have.   Making do with parts you have. EmptyWed Feb 29, 2012 2:24 am

I've found that if you move it around a little there's nearly always *one* screwhole that aligns, even if the rest don't. Smile Using even one screw gives a more solid foundation for the tape. Plus that ensures a positive electrical path between the PS case and the computer chassis. Don't know if that really matters, but it *sounds* like a good idea. Shocked

clown
Back to top Go down
bdquick
Admin
bdquick

PostSubject: Re: Making do with parts you have.   Making do with parts you have. EmptyThu Mar 01, 2012 7:31 pm

I've tried to find one that aligns, but unfortunately they just don't. And the darn case doesn't have enough metal in the area to drill another hole. I thought it was a standard TFX power supply, but unfortunately its not. I love it when case manufacturers make custom fit power supplies.
Back to top Go down
bdquick
Admin
bdquick

PostSubject: Re: Making do with parts you have.   Making do with parts you have. EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 9:41 pm

Had another fun one tonight. Been working on my cousin's laptop because the hard drive quit. Well in the middle of trying to reinstall the dumb thing quit booting from the dvd drive. I was thinking it might be because I didn't have a gateway windows disc. To test my theory, I rigged up an old ide dvd drive from another computer using my usb hard drive dock.

I got windows installed for him now, but the dvd drive still doesn't work. Hoping its just a bad connection, that I can fix by popping the drive in and out.
Back to top Go down
bozo
Admin
bozo

PostSubject: Re: Making do with parts you have.   Making do with parts you have. EmptyThu Jul 19, 2012 11:43 am

Good winging it! And good luck. I, in general, don't do laptops, but it's more of a problem with opportunity than inclination. Just don't have old laptops/parts around and my laptop has proved remarkably stout.

clown
Back to top Go down
bdquick
Admin
bdquick

PostSubject: Re: Making do with parts you have.   Making do with parts you have. EmptyThu Jul 19, 2012 10:07 pm

Well I determined the drive was bad. Unfortunately nowhere around here carried an internal slim dvd drive. So I came up with scheme. Wouldn't it make sense that an external slim usb drive is the same? Well the one I bought wasn't. It didn't have a sata connector hiding inside, but the usb plug was soldered in its place. Sad Oh well now I have a nice usb external drive.
Back to top Go down
bozo
Admin
bozo

PostSubject: Re: Making do with parts you have.   Making do with parts you have. EmptyThu Jul 19, 2012 11:17 pm

That's something that could come in handy some time. sunny

clown
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Making do with parts you have.   Making do with parts you have. Empty

Back to top Go down

Making do with parts you have.
Page 1 of 1