SUSEUnbound
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
openFate
Soap Scum remover Fatelogo_small openFATE - openSUSE feature tracking
Similar topics
    Latest topics
    » Difference between 42.2 and 42.1
    Soap Scum remover Emptyby findoctr Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:53 pm

» openSUSE Leap 42.1 ?
    Soap Scum remover Emptyby findoctr Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:09 pm

» Happy Turkey Day
    Soap Scum remover Emptyby findoctr Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:45 pm

» Happy 4th of July!
    Soap Scum remover Emptyby bozo Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:56 pm

» It's been a while ...
    Soap Scum remover Emptyby bozo Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:34 pm

» Mondo chillers
    Soap Scum remover Emptyby bozo Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:11 am

Navigation
     Portal
     Index
     Memberlist
     FAQ
     Search
    IRC Channel
    You can also find us on IRC's freenode.net as #suseunbound.

Soap Scum remover

Go down 
    2 posters
    AuthorMessage
    bdquick
    Admin
    bdquick

Soap Scum remover Empty
    PostSubject: Soap Scum remover   Soap Scum remover EmptySat Sep 10, 2011 1:38 pm

I've been doing some research this morning about easy ways to remove soap scum. We have very hard water here and it just causes a nice thick cover to appear. Doesn't help that I'm not much of a house cleaner, and let it build up to long. Most of the cleaners I've found don't work real well. Best has been scrubbing bubbles foam stuff. This last time I took a putty knife to the stuff and started scraping, which is ok for smooth flag surfaces. But in my searching this morning I found a suggestion of easy off no fume oven cleaner (blue can).

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/cleaning-stain-removal/241497-how-remove-soap-scum-hard-water-stains-fiberglass-shower.html

Any of you guys ever done such a thing, or have another technique you suggest? I know we have a resourceful bunch here.
    Back to top Go down
    bozo
    Admin
    bozo

Location : Way out in the sticks in the Gold Country of California

Soap Scum remover Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Soap Scum remover   Soap Scum remover EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 1:44 pm

I have used the Blue Easy-Off and it does work well. I haven't tried using the dryer sheets to remove it, though. I think the Yellow Easy-Off works even better, but IT IS *DANGEROUS*! The fumes will burn your lungs, the cleaner will burn your skin if left on very long at all, and if your shower doors have aluminum frames the lye will start eating it up! Probably better to stick with the Blue can. I've found that either one works best if the shower is dry when applied. For some reason it just doesn't do the job when applied to a wet surface. Might just be dilution, or, as my water is quite acid, the water could be lowering the pH, I don't know.

I don't know why the idea of using car wax after cleaning never occurred to me. Sounds like it would work. I use it on lots of other things like tools outside, etc., although you have to renew it frequently. (Boiled linseed oil actually forms a coating that lasts longer, when I do handles I've been known to do the entire tool, but I don't do the handles nearly often enough. Sad The wax can is usually closer and the rags won't spontaneously combust. And I wouldn't use the linseed oil on the shower!) I'm not sure I'd go with the WD-40. The smell does persist. I really like Rain-X on my windshield; I might give it a shot on the shower. Maybe a side-by-side with wax as one poster mentioned.

Squeegeeing after use definitely makes a difference. Tilex after-shower spray also helps, but neither totally prevents the scum from appearing, especially on glass. Sad

I suspect the effectiveness of these remedies (and the varying comments from different posters on the forum) might differ with the exact formulation of the soap thats doing the scumming and the exact minerals in your water, and maybe even the pH of your water. (My water is very acidic, as well as being fairly hard, which dissolves copper from the pipes and leaves a horrible blue stain that is *very* hard to remove. The Yellow Easy-Off does the best on the blue stain, but doesn't totally remove it. I'm not too picky about appearances, but when/if I sell the house I think I'll have to replace the fiberglass.) IOW, YMMV.

I have no idea of how any distro of Linux, or even BSD, could help. Very Happy

clown
    Back to top Go down
    bdquick
    Admin
    bdquick

Soap Scum remover Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Soap Scum remover   Soap Scum remover EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 7:05 pm

Linux could help if it was running a soap scum removing bot.

I'm going to get some of the blue stuff to try. Won't even consider the yellow with my asthma history. I just have a shower curtain so no doors to worry about. The worst part is really the bottom because its a nonslip texture and in the curvy places.
    Back to top Go down
    bdquick
    Admin
    bdquick

Soap Scum remover Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Soap Scum remover   Soap Scum remover EmptySat Sep 17, 2011 6:49 pm

Finally got around to doing a full scale cleaning today. I must say it does quite well, much better than any shower cleaners I tried.
    Back to top Go down
    bozo
    Admin
    bozo

Location : Way out in the sticks in the Gold Country of California

Soap Scum remover Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Soap Scum remover   Soap Scum remover EmptySun Sep 18, 2011 12:13 pm

I was hoping to hear about the results. Thank you. Glad to hear it worked well. Hopefully your asthma wasn't affected. Did you get the bot up and running? Smile

clown
    Back to top Go down
    bdquick
    Admin
    bdquick

Soap Scum remover Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Soap Scum remover   Soap Scum remover EmptySun Sep 18, 2011 7:03 pm

No it really didn't smell at all. The house did have a bit of a fresh lemony scent.
    Back to top Go down
    Sponsored content

Soap Scum remover Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Soap Scum remover   Soap Scum remover Empty

Back to top Go down

Soap Scum remover
    Page 1 of 1