SUSEUnbound
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
openFate
LED Lightbulbs Fatelogo_small openFATE - openSUSE feature tracking
Latest topics
» Difference between 42.2 and 42.1
LED Lightbulbs Emptyby findoctr Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:53 pm

» openSUSE Leap 42.1 ?
LED Lightbulbs Emptyby findoctr Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:09 pm

» Happy Turkey Day
LED Lightbulbs Emptyby findoctr Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:45 pm

» Happy 4th of July!
LED Lightbulbs Emptyby bozo Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:56 pm

» It's been a while ...
LED Lightbulbs Emptyby bozo Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:34 pm

» Mondo chillers
LED Lightbulbs Emptyby bozo Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:11 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
IRC Channel
You can also find us on IRC's freenode.net as #suseunbound.

LED Lightbulbs

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
bdquick
Admin
bdquick

LED Lightbulbs Empty
PostSubject: LED Lightbulbs   LED Lightbulbs EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 7:39 pm

I asked awhile back on the old forum if anyone had tried LED lights, well I got one yesterday. Seems to work very well. Its not a standard sized bulb, but a smaller pointy one that goes in my ceiling fan. Its instant on and fully bright just like a standard bulb, as soon as it gets power. I think that I'd be happy with them in my lamps and other fixtures.
Back to top Go down
MattB4
Old Regular
MattB4

LED Lightbulbs Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED Lightbulbs   LED Lightbulbs EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 8:12 pm

I am interested in how the LED bulbs workout. I have used the flouros for more than a decade with reasonable success. I know a lot of people do not like them due to the ambiance of the light and time to warmup. But they work for me. I find that mostly they last from 3-4 years depending on my usage.

When you say it is not standard size, are you referring to the screw in base? That is one area the LED will need to be able to have so as to not require change-out of all the light fixtures.
Back to top Go down
https://suseunbound.canadaboard.net
bdquick
Admin
bdquick

LED Lightbulbs Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED Lightbulbs   LED Lightbulbs EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 9:36 pm

They have the same old socket size we are used too. The ones I bought actually are a small socket size, but came with an adapter to the normal socket. I thought that was kind of cool. I have outside lights with the small socket size, and I thought my ceiling fan was too. Turns out its the standard socket, but small bulbs.

They are this style of bulb, but LED. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Grandrich-Candalabra-Base-B10-40W-Light-Bulb/11158037

Can't find a link to what I actually bought.
Back to top Go down
MattB4
Old Regular
MattB4

LED Lightbulbs Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED Lightbulbs   LED Lightbulbs EmptyWed Apr 14, 2010 7:03 am

I will have to take a look to see if they are available in my neck of the wild.
Back to top Go down
https://suseunbound.canadaboard.net
bdquick
Admin
bdquick

LED Lightbulbs Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED Lightbulbs   LED Lightbulbs EmptyThu Jul 12, 2012 7:27 pm

I should update this. I actually purchased a full sized led bulb a few months ago, and have been very happy with it. At the time it was on sale for $10. More than I would like to spend on a bulb, but thought it was worth it to check them out. I have the bulb in my hallway, and its on almost the entire time I am home and awake. The bulb creates very little heat, and the glass enclosure around it is only slightly warmer than room temp. The only downside I can see to them, is that the light output is more directional.

This isn't what I got, but ran across it on newegg tonight and thought it was kind of cool.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1490958784&cm_sp=Spotlight-_-9SIA1490958784-_-07122012
Back to top Go down
findoctr
Gecko
findoctr

LED Lightbulbs Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED Lightbulbs   LED Lightbulbs EmptyThu Jul 12, 2012 9:07 pm

I purchased an led mini spot lamp bulb about a year ago to illuminate some of my fused glass pendants I make and it works fine at about 1/5 the energy.

We have also been using a very bright single led night- lite in the bath room for 8 years now and still going.

Lowe's and Ikea also have many on display
Back to top Go down
bdquick
Admin
bdquick

LED Lightbulbs Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED Lightbulbs   LED Lightbulbs EmptyThu Jul 12, 2012 10:33 pm

I have a couple of led nightlights too. Very nice that they only use like .25 watts. Also forgot that we had one of the big 3D cell maglites that we took pulling. Unfortunately something happened and the batteries exploded and corroded everything together, creating junk. Replaced it with one of the new led versions, and its even brighter. Have to admit that I didn't expect that. The old bulbs were incredibly bright imho.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

LED Lightbulbs Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED Lightbulbs   LED Lightbulbs Empty

Back to top Go down

LED Lightbulbs
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
SUSEUnbound :: LIGHTEN UP! THE PLACE TO TAKE THINGS LESS SERIOUS. ;) :: Off Topic-
Jump to: