SUSEUnbound
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
openFate
Hidden files /directories Fatelogo_small openFATE - openSUSE feature tracking
Similar topics
Latest topics
» Difference between 42.2 and 42.1
Hidden files /directories Emptyby findoctr Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:53 pm

» openSUSE Leap 42.1 ?
Hidden files /directories Emptyby findoctr Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:09 pm

» Happy Turkey Day
Hidden files /directories Emptyby findoctr Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:45 pm

» Happy 4th of July!
Hidden files /directories Emptyby bozo Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:56 pm

» It's been a while ...
Hidden files /directories Emptyby bozo Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:34 pm

» Mondo chillers
Hidden files /directories Emptyby bozo Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:11 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
IRC Channel
You can also find us on IRC's freenode.net as #suseunbound.

Hidden files /directories

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Laz
Gecko
Laz

Hidden files /directories Empty
PostSubject: Hidden files /directories   Hidden files /directories EmptySat Sep 13, 2014 6:35 pm

I have a USB key that has a couple of hidden directories,
and I would like to see what's up. The ls command shows:
linux-02pi:/dev/usb # ls -a
. .. hiddev0
Can anyone show me how to access . and .. to do a file listing?
Thanks
Back to top Go down
bozo
Admin
bozo

Location : Way out in the sticks in the Gold Country of California

PostSubject: Re: Hidden files /directories   Hidden files /directories EmptyMon Sep 15, 2014 3:06 am

The . and .. entries are not really hidden directories, just shorthand for the current directory (.) and the parent directory of the current directory (..), i.e. the next directory above the one you're in. So running
Code:
ls -a
and
Code:
ls -a .
will give identical results. Running
Code:
ls -a ..
will give the contents of the directory above the current directory (in your case /dev).
Code:
ls -a hiddev0
should give you the contents of that directory, assuming you have access rights.

Knowing the .. shorthand can be quite handy if you are currently in ~/directory_a/a_name_composed_of_a_ridiculous_number_of_random_characters/another_directory and you want to move up one level.
Code:
cd ..
can save a lot of keystrokes. Smile

clown
Back to top Go down
Laz
Gecko
Laz

PostSubject: Re: Hidden files /directories   Hidden files /directories EmptyMon Sep 15, 2014 3:10 pm

[quote="bozo"
Code:
ls -a hiddev0
should give you the contents of that directory, assuming you have access rights.
clown[/quote]
I tried the command both as a normal and admin user, but all I get as a response is that hiddev0 is not a file, or directory. This begs the question:
if so, what is it? I am tempted to re-format the USB stick and get rid of it, but I"m curious.

Thanks for the clarifications, it's great to see something in plain English.
Back to top Go down
bozo
Admin
bozo

PostSubject: Re: Hidden files /directories   Hidden files /directories EmptyMon Sep 15, 2014 3:41 pm

My first guess off the top of my head is that hiddev0 is something like a boot sector or partition table on a hard drive, one of those hidden sectors that you never see but the hard drive needs to operate.

You might try ls -l to get the size and permissions, and the date (if the date is the date of manufacture, you might not want to delete it!). Or use the Linux equivalent of the DOS DEBUG command (sorry, I'm having a senior moment and I'm too lazy to look it up) where you can actually see the bits and bytes and maybe figure out what's there.

Or if it's cheap enough that you don't mind bricking the thing, just go ahead and take the chance of deleting hiddev0, or formatting the drive, and see what happens! Smile

clown
Back to top Go down
Laz
Gecko
Laz

PostSubject: Re: Hidden files /directories   Hidden files /directories EmptyTue Sep 16, 2014 8:38 pm

bozo wrote:
My first guess off the top of my head is that hiddev0 is something like a boot sector or partition table on a hard drive,clown  

Well, since it is a USB stick that was used solely to store files temporarily, it shoud'nt have a boot sector. When I tried ls -l hiddev0 it informed me that this was neither a file, nor a directory. The search continues. Thank you for the info, I filed it for future reference.
Back to top Go down
bdquick
Admin
bdquick

PostSubject: Re: Hidden files /directories   Hidden files /directories EmptyWed Sep 24, 2014 7:52 pm

Could be the file table listing. If you plug this drive into windows does it come with "helpful software"? That could also be stored there.
Back to top Go down
Laz
Gecko
Laz

PostSubject: Re: Hidden files /directories   Hidden files /directories EmptySat Sep 27, 2014 1:51 am

Looks like I misunderstood the use of the lsusb command. Turns out it provides only a description of the usb drive. I can't confirm yet, but I'm guessing hiddev0 may stand for Hardware ID Device 0. To see the files on the stick, I needed to run lsblk,
which provides the correct path to the drive for the ls command.
Back to top Go down
bozo
Admin
bozo

PostSubject: Re: Hidden files /directories   Hidden files /directories EmptySat Sep 27, 2014 4:23 pm

Thanks for the follow-up!

clown
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hidden files /directories   Hidden files /directories Empty

Back to top Go down

Hidden files /directories
Page 1 of 1