SUSEUnbound
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
openFate
Netbook Distro's Fatelogo_small openFATE - openSUSE feature tracking
Similar topics
    Latest topics
    » Difference between 42.2 and 42.1
    Netbook Distro's Emptyby findoctr Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:53 pm

» openSUSE Leap 42.1 ?
    Netbook Distro's Emptyby findoctr Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:09 pm

» Happy Turkey Day
    Netbook Distro's Emptyby findoctr Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:45 pm

» Happy 4th of July!
    Netbook Distro's Emptyby bozo Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:56 pm

» It's been a while ...
    Netbook Distro's Emptyby bozo Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:34 pm

» Mondo chillers
    Netbook Distro's Emptyby bozo Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:11 am

Navigation
     Portal
     Index
     Memberlist
     FAQ
     Search
    IRC Channel
    You can also find us on IRC's freenode.net as #suseunbound.

Netbook Distro's

Go down 
    5 posters
    AuthorMessage
    winxp-escapee
    winxp-escapee

Netbook Distro's Empty
    PostSubject: Netbook Distro's   Netbook Distro's EmptySun Jan 30, 2011 1:03 pm

Buddy just bought a Lenovo IdeaPad S10-3, which came with Windows 7 Starter. He was complaining about the slowness and poor performance and wanted to take it back to the shop. This little unit was just choking on the OS, I was stunned that Lenovo could sell anything that was so obviously deficient. So I said, have you tried Linux? First up we put Meego on a stick and booted up, wow! what a transformation. Boot up took about 15 seconds and the interface was really slick, the machine was fast and responsive, his eyes were popping out of his head. However, wireless didn't work. After a bit of googling it turns out that there is a known problem with the Meego drivers and the particular Broadcom card in this PC. Of course my buddy was disappointed thinking that was that. Don't worry I said, plenty more we can try. So, next we gave Jolicloud a shot, running off a stick. Even for a tired old hack like me I was just astounded at the performance, amazing! Wireless worked too, no issues. These distro's work just as well or even better on laptop's and PCs too. Give 'em a try, you too will be amazed.

Smeegol
    Meego
    Jolicloud
    Back to top Go down
    bozo
    Admin
    bozo

Location : Way out in the sticks in the Gold Country of California

Netbook Distro's Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Netbook Distro's   Netbook Distro's EmptySun Jan 30, 2011 3:28 pm

They sound very interesting. Do you have a favorite among the three? I'm being tempted to install one of them on my notebook. The rapid boot time sounds really good.

clown
    Back to top Go down
    winxp-escapee
    winxp-escapee

Netbook Distro's Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Netbook Distro's   Netbook Distro's EmptyMon Jan 31, 2011 4:46 am

I actually like the Meego/Smeegol interface and this system is conventional. Jolicloud works great but is cloud based and without a broadband or 3G connection it's pretty much useless.
    Back to top Go down
    bdquick
    Admin
    bdquick

Netbook Distro's Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Netbook Distro's   Netbook Distro's EmptyMon Jan 31, 2011 6:03 pm

I haven't gotten brave enough to try any out on my netbook yet. Can't believe I'm saying this, but don't want to mess up my win 7 install on it. I need it for testing.
    Back to top Go down
    bozo
    Admin
    bozo

Netbook Distro's Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Netbook Distro's   Netbook Distro's EmptyMon Jan 31, 2011 11:15 pm

After reading a little more, I've decided to hold off a little longer myself. It sounds like there's been quite a few problems with the wireless not working. I've been having enough problems with my wireless for now. When I feel like I've gotten a handle on what I've got now, I might give Smeegol a try. The quick boot times still sound really good.

clown
    Back to top Go down
    winxp-escapee
    winxp-escapee

Netbook Distro's Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Netbook Distro's   Netbook Distro's EmptyTue Feb 01, 2011 6:17 am

Just run from a USB stick until you are satisfied that there are no hardware issues.
    Back to top Go down
    bozo
    Admin
    bozo

Netbook Distro's Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Netbook Distro's   Netbook Distro's EmptyTue Feb 01, 2011 10:25 am

Thanks. Maybe I'll try that. Now to see if I've got a spare USB stick around. Or maybe an SD card.

clown
    Back to top Go down
    Freshmeadow
    Salamander
    Freshmeadow

Netbook Distro's Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Netbook Distro's   Netbook Distro's EmptySat Jun 11, 2011 10:06 pm

Why not try the new openSUSE 11.4 LXDE version on a netbook? I am running it on my EeePC 701 and it is silly fast. ~30 second boot tiime, fast loading desktop, 2.4 gig install size after all updates, the yummy goodness of openSUSE? You can find the iso image here: http://en.opensuse.org/LXDE.
    Cheers from Guelph!
    Back to top Go down
    bozo
    Admin
    bozo

Netbook Distro's Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Netbook Distro's   Netbook Distro's EmptySun Jun 12, 2011 1:17 pm

Welcome to the forum, Freshmeadow! And thanks for your suggestion.Keep them coming!

clown
    Back to top Go down
    winxp-escapee
    winxp-escapee

Netbook Distro's Empty
    PostSubject: Puppeee Linux   Netbook Distro's EmptyThu Jun 16, 2011 3:40 pm

Puppee linux best netbook distro I've tried so far. If you've got an atom processor should work just fine.

pupeee linux
    Back to top Go down
    limo
    Old Regular
    limo

Netbook Distro's Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Netbook Distro's   Netbook Distro's EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 6:00 pm

Hey, you are activating some evil thoughts of trying any of theese but on a mobile phone... I had these evil idease to try on HTC HD, it is great hardware but having windoze makes it useless... but I got no clue neither about these new OS nor how to install them on a mobile phone.

Was wodering if it is possible to install a normal distro on a mobile phone... I'm halucinating I know!
    Back to top Go down
    Sponsored content

Netbook Distro's Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Netbook Distro's   Netbook Distro's Empty

Back to top Go down

Netbook Distro's
    Page 1 of 1