SUSEUnbound
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
openFate
openSUSE 13.1 - anyone going to try it? Fatelogo_small openFATE - openSUSE feature tracking
Similar topics
Latest topics
» Difference between 42.2 and 42.1
openSUSE 13.1 - anyone going to try it? Emptyby findoctr Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:53 pm

» openSUSE Leap 42.1 ?
openSUSE 13.1 - anyone going to try it? Emptyby findoctr Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:09 pm

» Happy Turkey Day
openSUSE 13.1 - anyone going to try it? Emptyby findoctr Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:45 pm

» Happy 4th of July!
openSUSE 13.1 - anyone going to try it? Emptyby bozo Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:56 pm

» It's been a while ...
openSUSE 13.1 - anyone going to try it? Emptyby bozo Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:34 pm

» Mondo chillers
openSUSE 13.1 - anyone going to try it? Emptyby bozo Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:11 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
IRC Channel
You can also find us on IRC's freenode.net as #suseunbound.

openSUSE 13.1 - anyone going to try it?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Freshmeadow
Salamander
Freshmeadow

openSUSE 13.1 - anyone going to try it? Empty
PostSubject: openSUSE 13.1 - anyone going to try it?   openSUSE 13.1 - anyone going to try it? EmptySat Oct 19, 2013 2:21 pm

Hello everyone. It has been a while since I have been here but life for a new grandfather has been interesting!
I just wanted to know if anyone plans to try out the next incarnation of openSUSE, version 13.1 when it is released.
Or, is someone running the Release Candidate now?
I am still on 12.3, KDE version and am very impressed with its speed and stability.
Cheers from rainy Guelph, Ontario.
Back to top Go down
bozo
Admin
bozo

Location : Way out in the sticks in the Gold Country of California

PostSubject: Re: openSUSE 13.1 - anyone going to try it?   openSUSE 13.1 - anyone going to try it? EmptyMon Oct 21, 2013 3:02 pm

Hey, Freshmeadow! Good to see/hear from you! Grandkids have been keeping you busy? Lucky you! Mine are 800 miles away, so I hardly ever get to see them. Sad 

As far as 13.1 goes, I just got 12.2 on my laptop a bit ago, and am going to get around to putting 12.3 on my desktop (currently still running 11.0); I keep thinking I'm going to get a new hard drive first, but something else always comes up. Latest is a transmission failure and rebuild, which could have bought several (about 300?) new hard drives. Sad

But I'm always behind the curve on new releases; not the early adopter sort. It's good to hear that you like 12.3. 12.2 seems to be working OK on my laptop, but I really don't use it that much so I can't give much of a report.

Keep checking in. It's been pretty slow around here, but we're still up and kicking!

clown 
Back to top Go down
Freshmeadow
Salamander
Freshmeadow

PostSubject: openSUSE 13.1 - anyone going to try it?   openSUSE 13.1 - anyone going to try it? EmptyTue Oct 22, 2013 8:33 am

Thanks!! I hear you about early adoption. In fact, I keep my wife's 2003 Dell Inspiron laptop one generation behind on Lubuntu.
With openSUSE, though, I usually find that even new releases are pretty solid. That being said, I keep the older version ready in case I have to roll back to it.
I finally got enough memory stuffed into my laptop that openSUSE is running in a virtual machine and I can take snapshots of it before I upgrade. Smile

Take care, Jim
Back to top Go down
bdquick
Admin
bdquick

PostSubject: Re: openSUSE 13.1 - anyone going to try it?   openSUSE 13.1 - anyone going to try it? EmptyTue Nov 05, 2013 7:09 pm

I haven't even been able to keep up enough to know what exciting new features are in 13.1. Honestly I barely get to look at a computer when I'm home, let alone Linux.
Back to top Go down
bozo
Admin
bozo

PostSubject: Re: openSUSE 13.1 - anyone going to try it?   openSUSE 13.1 - anyone going to try it? EmptyThu Nov 07, 2013 2:11 am

Things haven't slowed down yet, eh?

clown 
Back to top Go down
welan
Admin
welan

PostSubject: Re: openSUSE 13.1 - anyone going to try it?   openSUSE 13.1 - anyone going to try it? EmptyThu Nov 14, 2013 4:41 pm

the penguin waves to everybody
Back to top Go down
bdquick
Admin
bdquick

PostSubject: Re: openSUSE 13.1 - anyone going to try it?   openSUSE 13.1 - anyone going to try it? EmptyTue Nov 19, 2013 8:29 pm

bozo wrote:
Things haven't slowed down yet, eh?

clown 

They have some, but I have less ambition to get online in the evening.

What are some of the exciting new features in 13.1?
Back to top Go down
Laz
Gecko
Laz

PostSubject: openSUSE13.1 Gnome/KDE   openSUSE 13.1 - anyone going to try it? EmptySun Nov 24, 2013 1:51 am

I installed both versions with relative ease. The only issue was with network configuration with both flavours. Curious, because using the live CD's gave me automatic configuration, but when installing from the same CD, it could not autoconfigure, and required a manual setup. All other hardware was detected correctly. Perhaps because the computer is now 3 years old, and the drivers had a chance to catch up.
A personal beef for me was the desktop settings. The setup correctly identified my high resolution monitor, and set it up accordingly. Unfortunately this resulted in a 1920x1200 resolution with a tiny white cursor on
a white background. This may not be a problem for others, but drove me to distraction until I was finally able to bring it down to a readable value for me.

Gnome is unfortunately still a mess. Maybe due to attempting to cater to tablet users, a number of changes were made that do not work well on conventional machines. No doubt by version 13.3, things will improve.

KDE4 looks good to me, but I don't have enough experience with this edition to cast judgement. The live CD wich I used to install it contained only a skeleton setup, despite the 900+ MB size of the cd. Post installation lead to a sizable 250 app update that installed the default apps for the distro.

I have been running both distros since the 19th, and so far they are both steady as a rock. Nicely done.
On the other hand, from the standpoint of an ordinary user, who does not need the more esoteric functions of the latest and greatest, version 13.1 really does not offer anything more than the last couple of versions.
KDE appears to be a bit faster, but what will I do with the saved milliseconds?
Back to top Go down
bozo
Admin
bozo

PostSubject: Re: openSUSE 13.1 - anyone going to try it?   openSUSE 13.1 - anyone going to try it? EmptySun Nov 24, 2013 3:53 am

Thanks for the report, Laz. It sounds like I don't really need to go to 13.1. But I've been waiting for a new hard drive to upgrade my my entire desktop and OS together and haven't installed 12.3 yet, so maybe when the new HD gets here (maybe for Christmas?) I'll go ahead and download 13.1 for the extended upgrade cycle so I won't have to upgrade again so soon, since it doesn't sound like there's really any downside to 13.1.

clown 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: openSUSE 13.1 - anyone going to try it?   openSUSE 13.1 - anyone going to try it? Empty

Back to top Go down

openSUSE 13.1 - anyone going to try it?
Page 1 of 1