SUSEUnbound
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
openFate
Hope SUSE won't follow this move Fatelogo_small openFATE - openSUSE feature tracking
Similar topics
Latest topics
» Difference between 42.2 and 42.1
Hope SUSE won't follow this move Emptyby findoctr Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:53 pm

» openSUSE Leap 42.1 ?
Hope SUSE won't follow this move Emptyby findoctr Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:09 pm

» Happy Turkey Day
Hope SUSE won't follow this move Emptyby findoctr Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:45 pm

» Happy 4th of July!
Hope SUSE won't follow this move Emptyby bozo Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:56 pm

» It's been a while ...
Hope SUSE won't follow this move Emptyby bozo Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:34 pm

» Mondo chillers
Hope SUSE won't follow this move Emptyby bozo Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:11 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
IRC Channel
You can also find us on IRC's freenode.net as #suseunbound.

Hope SUSE won't follow this move

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Laz
Gecko
Laz

Hope SUSE won't follow this move Empty
PostSubject: Hope SUSE won't follow this move   Hope SUSE won't follow this move EmptyFri Oct 19, 2012 3:47 pm

When you do a search in Ubuntu 12.10's dash, it now has a link to Amazon, that will deliver advertising to your desktop. Very handy if you have no idea where to spend your money.
See article: http://www.howtogeek.com/126995/how-to-disable-the-amazon-search-ads-in-ubuntus-unity-dash/
Don't know about the rest of you, but I have had just about enough of such intrusive measures.
It's bad enough that one can't do a Google search without being bombarded links only minimally related to the criteria, but maximized for sales without having your desktop do the same.
Back to top Go down
bdquick
Admin
bdquick

PostSubject: Re: Hope SUSE won't follow this move   Hope SUSE won't follow this move EmptySun Oct 21, 2012 8:21 pm

Its obviously a fundraiser. Maybe they will start providing a paid for version with no ads.
Back to top Go down
Laz
Gecko
Laz

PostSubject: Re: Hope SUSE won't follow this move   Hope SUSE won't follow this move EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 7:21 pm

Well, they are also on the verge of getting into the ARM market to make the OS usable on notepadss.
Back to top Go down
bozo
Admin
bozo

Location : Way out in the sticks in the Gold Country of California

PostSubject: Re: Hope SUSE won't follow this move   Hope SUSE won't follow this move EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 2:10 pm

After reading the article plus a few more, I don't think it's a case of blatant advertising/fundraising. It's supposed to be expanded in the future to make the search function search everywhere, to make no differentation between what's local and what's in the ether. (Sorry, I don't like the concpt of "the cloud".) And by starting this way they can maybe pick up a few bucks, too. Smile

I, however, *do* differentiate between what's local and what's not. And I like to keep the two separate. I think they made a mistake in how they introduced it, and I think it was a mistake to not have it opt-in, or at least to opt-out via a check mark in an easily found place, rather than by having to delete a package, which some people find beyond their abilities.

I, too, hope Suse doesn't feel this type of integration is necessary. I don't trust "the cloud" (which is just putting my files on someone else's hard drive. Bad move, in my opinion.)

clown
Back to top Go down
Laz
Gecko
Laz

PostSubject: Re: Hope SUSE won't follow this move   Hope SUSE won't follow this move EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 6:40 pm

bozo wrote:

I, too, hope Suse doesn't feel this type of integration is necessary. I don't trust "the cloud" (which is just putting my files on someone else's hard drive. Bad move, in my opinion.)
clown

I agree 100%. what a juicy target those servers make. Now it looks like MS is going a step further, by putting MS Office in the cloud as welll. It will enable people to use their phones instead of PC's to conduct business, etc. Home users will get along using a terminal. It would certainly solve software piracy problems, but at the cost of increased risk to the users. Wonderful.
Back to top Go down
welan
Admin
welan

PostSubject: Re: Hope SUSE won't follow this move   Hope SUSE won't follow this move EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 7:30 pm

With the release of "8" M$ is doing everything they can to turn revenue. Seem thats all anyone in the software biz cares about these days. (what ever happened to stability, security etc.) These intrusions into our safe world of "nix" are going to become more and more as people (not sure who makes these decisions) see the need to profit and or fund what ever.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hope SUSE won't follow this move   Hope SUSE won't follow this move Empty

Back to top Go down

Hope SUSE won't follow this move
Page 1 of 1