SUSEUnbound
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
openFate
MS Security Essentials not an equal opportunity AV. Fatelogo_small openFATE - openSUSE feature tracking
Similar topics
    Latest topics
    » Difference between 42.2 and 42.1
    MS Security Essentials not an equal opportunity AV. Emptyby findoctr Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:53 pm

» openSUSE Leap 42.1 ?
    MS Security Essentials not an equal opportunity AV. Emptyby findoctr Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:09 pm

» Happy Turkey Day
    MS Security Essentials not an equal opportunity AV. Emptyby findoctr Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:45 pm

» Happy 4th of July!
    MS Security Essentials not an equal opportunity AV. Emptyby bozo Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:56 pm

» It's been a while ...
    MS Security Essentials not an equal opportunity AV. Emptyby bozo Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:34 pm

» Mondo chillers
    MS Security Essentials not an equal opportunity AV. Emptyby bozo Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:11 am

Navigation
     Portal
     Index
     Memberlist
     FAQ
     Search
    IRC Channel
    You can also find us on IRC's freenode.net as #suseunbound.

MS Security Essentials not an equal opportunity AV.

Go down 
    2 posters
    AuthorMessage
    Laz
    Gecko
    Laz

MS Security Essentials not an equal opportunity AV. Empty
    PostSubject: MS Security Essentials not an equal opportunity AV.   MS Security Essentials not an equal opportunity AV. EmptyMon Oct 01, 2012 3:22 pm

This is not so concerning to Linux users, but interesting. I got curious about just how good this product is, so I went to EICAR_DOT_ORG downloaded the four test files there. Under Windows 7
    I could not download them at all, as they were recognized as viri. So I got them with Linux, which did not care, and saved them to an old USB stick. There are warnings about saving these to the hard drive, as a good AV program will not allow them to be moved, copied, or removed once they are quarantied.
    Scanned with Win 7 MS SE: Correctly identified all four files.
    Win XP Identified only the text file, but missed the others.
    The scanning engine, and virus definitions were identical on both machines, yet here we are.
    Gee I wonder if this is yet another incentive to upgrade soon.
    Back to top Go down
    bdquick
    Admin
    bdquick

PostSubject: Re: MS Security Essentials not an equal opportunity AV.   MS Security Essentials not an equal opportunity AV. EmptyMon Oct 01, 2012 10:39 pm

That is an interesting result. I used MSE for while until a virus got past and that was on Win 7. I've now switched my windows boxes to VIPRE. Not sure if its really better, but it had good reviews and I liked the price point for multiple machines. Doesn't seem to be a big resource hog either. Before MSE, I was using AVG free but it just got so bloated and slowed the machine down.
    Back to top Go down
    Laz
    Gecko
    Laz

PostSubject: Re: MS Security Essentials not an equal opportunity AV.   MS Security Essentials not an equal opportunity AV. EmptyWed Oct 03, 2012 1:36 pm

I have pretty much given up security software for protection. I'll play with them out of boredom, but that's all. Since my OS and data are kept separately, it's just as efective to re-image the drive if anything goes south. This way there are no left over bits, or wrongfully deleted/quarantined files to worry about. In the past I found that the AV software never found anything until it was getting close to license renewal time. A strange, but fairly consistent coincidence.
    Back to top Go down
    Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MS Security Essentials not an equal opportunity AV.   MS Security Essentials not an equal opportunity AV. Empty

Back to top Go down

MS Security Essentials not an equal opportunity AV.
    Page 1 of 1