SUSEUnbound
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
openFate
Keep your /tmp folder clean automatically Fatelogo_small openFATE - openSUSE feature tracking
Similar topics
Latest topics
» Difference between 42.2 and 42.1
Keep your /tmp folder clean automatically Emptyby findoctr Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:53 pm

» openSUSE Leap 42.1 ?
Keep your /tmp folder clean automatically Emptyby findoctr Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:09 pm

» Happy Turkey Day
Keep your /tmp folder clean automatically Emptyby findoctr Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:45 pm

» Happy 4th of July!
Keep your /tmp folder clean automatically Emptyby bozo Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:56 pm

» It's been a while ...
Keep your /tmp folder clean automatically Emptyby bozo Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:34 pm

» Mondo chillers
Keep your /tmp folder clean automatically Emptyby bozo Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:11 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
IRC Channel
You can also find us on IRC's freenode.net as #suseunbound.

Keep your /tmp folder clean automatically

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
bdquick
Admin
bdquick

Keep your /tmp folder clean automatically Empty
PostSubject: Keep your /tmp folder clean automatically   Keep your /tmp folder clean automatically EmptyFri Sep 14, 2012 8:16 pm

I like to keep my temp folders cleaned out. Generally nothing in there that I need to keep and it just wastes hard drive space. If you'd like your computer to do some house keeping for you:

1. Go To YAST -> System -> /etc/sysconfig Editor
  2. Expand "System"
  3. Expand "Cron"
  4. Now you will see several entries you can change. Set them to values you feel are reasonable for you.
  5. "MAX_DAYS_IN_TMP" - This is the number of days a file can go unused in /tmp before deletion. I have mine set to 14 days.
  6. "TMP_DIRS_TO_CLEAR" - This is probably blank so it defaults to /tmp. If you would like to clear other folders, they could be added here.
  7. "OWNER_TO_KEEP_IN_TMP" - Files created by the specified user will not be deleted. Defaults to "root".
  8. "CLEAR_TMP_DIRS_AT_BOOTUP" - Like it says will clean them out while booting up. This ignores the owners to keep option, and deletes all files no matter owner or number of days. This is probably defaulted to "no". I have mine set to "yes".
  9. "DAILY_TIME" - This is to set the time you want the /tmp folders cleared. If you have a server that is on all the time you could have them cleared out at 3 A.M. to avoid slowing down daily traffic. The time should be entered in 24 hour time, not 12 hour.

There is also an option to set up a "long tmp" folder(s). Perhaps useful if you a folder where you create backups, but don't need them after a certain period.
Back to top Go down
bozo
Admin
bozo

Location : Way out in the sticks in the Gold Country of California

PostSubject: Re: Keep your /tmp folder clean automatically   Keep your /tmp folder clean automatically EmptyFri Sep 14, 2012 11:41 pm

this sounds like a good idea. Every so often I think about cleaning out the /tmp folder, but I'm always to chicken to delete stuff that I don't know what it is. If I'd set it up to do it automatically, I just woldn't know about it. What I don't know wan't hurt me, right?

clown
Back to top Go down
Laz
Gecko
Laz

PostSubject: Re: Keep your /tmp folder clean automatically   Keep your /tmp folder clean automatically EmptySat Sep 15, 2012 11:46 am

Is there a valid reason for keeping TMP files? Seems to me anything one wants to keep will be saved anyway. I always looked on TMP files as a "scratchpad" or work in progress. Am I wrong in this?
Back to top Go down
bdquick
Admin
bdquick

PostSubject: Re: Keep your /tmp folder clean automatically   Keep your /tmp folder clean automatically EmptySat Sep 15, 2012 1:51 pm

I don't know of any reason to keep them. I've never understood why the default isn't to remove them, but I don't know of any distro that defaults to removing them either. Its something I always try and remember to set, but often forget.
Back to top Go down
Laz
Gecko
Laz

PostSubject: Re: Keep your /tmp folder clean automatically   Keep your /tmp folder clean automatically EmptySat Sep 15, 2012 7:13 pm

Never thought to look at Cron to do this. Great tip!
Back to top Go down
coldkeys
Newt
coldkeys

PostSubject: Re: Keep your /tmp folder clean automatically   Keep your /tmp folder clean automatically EmptyTue Sep 16, 2014 4:47 am

Thank you, this a great time saver - and a way of using cron I was not aware of.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Keep your /tmp folder clean automatically   Keep your /tmp folder clean automatically Empty

Back to top Go down

Keep your /tmp folder clean automatically
Page 1 of 1