SUSEUnbound
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
openFate
Get'em while they're young! Fatelogo_small openFATE - openSUSE feature tracking
Latest topics
» Difference between 42.2 and 42.1
Get'em while they're young! Emptyby findoctr Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:53 pm

» openSUSE Leap 42.1 ?
Get'em while they're young! Emptyby findoctr Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:09 pm

» Happy Turkey Day
Get'em while they're young! Emptyby findoctr Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:45 pm

» Happy 4th of July!
Get'em while they're young! Emptyby bozo Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:56 pm

» It's been a while ...
Get'em while they're young! Emptyby bozo Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:34 pm

» Mondo chillers
Get'em while they're young! Emptyby bozo Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:11 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
IRC Channel
You can also find us on IRC's freenode.net as #suseunbound.

Get'em while they're young!

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Laz
Gecko
Laz

Get'em while they're young! Empty
PostSubject: Get'em while they're young!   Get'em while they're young! EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 2:44 pm

It's bad manners to talk of a different distro on a dedicated forum, and if I offend anyone I apologize. However, it occurs to me that the Apple model of building acceptance and future market of giving away computers to schools is unbeatable. All those kids who were brought up with Apple are now full grown, purchasing adults, and look what that did to the brand.

Today it's no longer necessary to give away computers, just about every household has one or more, and this could be a great help to Linux. What started me thinking about this was the discovery of an Ubuntu based fork called Quimo for Kids. This is a release aimed strictly at kids from age 3 up, and I think it's great.

I introduced my 4 year old grand daughter to it on a live cd. It took a few minutes for her to
develop the coordination to use the mouse and click on objects, but within 15 minutes she was jumping around between applications like a pro. The distro contains games, reading and math excercises, memory training games, etc. The kid was hooked, and a fight developed when her 3 year old sister demanded a turn.

I can't think of a better way to introduce Linux to the young, and who knows maybe they'll stick with it as they grow.
Back to top Go down
bdquick
Admin
bdquick

PostSubject: Re: Get'em while they're young!   Get'em while they're young! EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 6:16 pm

We don't mind talking about other distros. I think most of the major distros have education based distros aimed at children.

OpenSuse's is http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Education-Li-f-e

I haven't looked into any of these much, because I have no need too but beleive Welan has played with some.
Back to top Go down
Laz
Gecko
Laz

PostSubject: Re: Get'em while they're young!   Get'em while they're young! EmptyMon Aug 27, 2012 2:22 pm

Thanks for that link. I downloaded the iso, and am amazed at the wide ranging applications of this compilation. I had a good look at GCompris, which is aimed at the same age group as the one served by Quimo, and it appers to be quite a bit more sophisticated in terms of content. Childsplay unfortunately was not included on the DVD, but it seems like it may be similar as well.

The only problem is that there are too many places where a wrong click will get small kids lost quickly. In this respect Quimo is the winner due to being more restrictive.

I intend to take the DVD to the school where my older grand children attend to see if they would consider using openSUSE for the next age group. I believe there would be a great deal of merit in going open source for the cash strapped school system.
Back to top Go down
bdquick
Admin
bdquick

PostSubject: Re: Get'em while they're young!   Get'em while they're young! EmptyMon Aug 27, 2012 7:59 pm

Shawn Powers over at Linux Journal is a big advocate of just that. The hard part is finding school IT admins that aren't scared of Linux. The few I've been around are die hard Mac fans.
Back to top Go down
Laz
Gecko
Laz

PostSubject: Re: Get'em while they're young!   Get'em while they're young! EmptySat Sep 01, 2012 1:11 pm

[quote="bdquick" The few I've been around are die hard Mac fans.[/quote]

So I'm finding out. Apple had a great idea when they started giving away computers to the schools.. It created a following that' borders on the fanatical. The teachers I talked to were very impressed, but powerless to affect changes.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Get'em while they're young!   Get'em while they're young! Empty

Back to top Go down

Get'em while they're young!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
SUSEUnbound :: LIGHTEN UP! THE PLACE TO TAKE THINGS LESS SERIOUS. ;) :: General-
Jump to: