SUSEUnbound
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
openFate
What if ISO cd/dvd won't run? Fatelogo_small openFATE - openSUSE feature tracking
Latest topics
» Difference between 42.2 and 42.1
What if ISO cd/dvd won't run? Emptyby findoctr Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:53 pm

» openSUSE Leap 42.1 ?
What if ISO cd/dvd won't run? Emptyby findoctr Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:09 pm

» Happy Turkey Day
What if ISO cd/dvd won't run? Emptyby findoctr Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:45 pm

» Happy 4th of July!
What if ISO cd/dvd won't run? Emptyby bozo Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:56 pm

» It's been a while ...
What if ISO cd/dvd won't run? Emptyby bozo Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:34 pm

» Mondo chillers
What if ISO cd/dvd won't run? Emptyby bozo Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:11 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
IRC Channel
You can also find us on IRC's freenode.net as #suseunbound.

What if ISO cd/dvd won't run?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Laz
Gecko
Laz

What if ISO cd/dvd won't run? Empty
PostSubject: What if ISO cd/dvd won't run?   What if ISO cd/dvd won't run? EmptySun Jun 24, 2012 7:09 pm

The latest versions of any and (almost) all distro's fail to run on my computer. They all seem to die due to kernel panic. Open SUSE 12.2 beta being the exception. This is a new phenomenon, as everything used to boot up just one version back from current.

I am quite happy with openSuSE, but it bugs me that the rest fail, and would like to run down the cause. Unfortunately the screen scrolls by at hyper speed, and once the crash occured, I can't scroll back.

In cases like this, is there a way of a: slowing down the procedure or b: single step the boot process so errors may be observed?
Back to top Go down
bdquick
Admin
bdquick

PostSubject: Re: What if ISO cd/dvd won't run?   What if ISO cd/dvd won't run? EmptyMon Jun 25, 2012 11:01 pm

I don't know of any specific command, and my googling didn't turn anything up. I did at one time accidentally discover that hitting "esc" would pause the booting process, and enter would continue on.
Back to top Go down
Laz
Gecko
Laz

PostSubject: Re: What if ISO cd/dvd won't run?   What if ISO cd/dvd won't run? EmptyTue Jun 26, 2012 12:00 pm

bdquick wrote:
hitting "esc" would pause the booting process, and enter would continue on.

Thanks for that hint. Sadly it no longer seems to work for any of the distros. The one good thing that came from this is that I no longer suspect a hardware problem. Using openSUSE 12.2 beta as an example, here is what happens.
1. The DVD version freezes with a kernel panic.
2. The Live CD version runs perfectly, but can not be installed directly from the boot menu.
the computer freezes with a black screen.
3. Once the live cd is up and running, installation can be selected from the menu, and completes
to the point where a reboot is requested.
4. Booting the computer produces the intro screen, then the computer freezes.

At least on my box, this is valid for both 32 and 64 bit versions. The only conclusion I can derive from this is that Linx is much like Forrest Gump's box of chocholates.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What if ISO cd/dvd won't run?   What if ISO cd/dvd won't run? Empty

Back to top Go down

What if ISO cd/dvd won't run?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
SUSEUnbound :: Help Section :: Install and Boot-
Jump to: