SUSEUnbound
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
openFate
Your thoughts on 12.1 Fatelogo_small openFATE - openSUSE feature tracking
Similar topics
    Latest topics
    » Difference between 42.2 and 42.1
    Your thoughts on 12.1 Emptyby findoctr Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:53 pm

» openSUSE Leap 42.1 ?
    Your thoughts on 12.1 Emptyby findoctr Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:09 pm

» Happy Turkey Day
    Your thoughts on 12.1 Emptyby findoctr Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:45 pm

» Happy 4th of July!
    Your thoughts on 12.1 Emptyby bozo Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:56 pm

» It's been a while ...
    Your thoughts on 12.1 Emptyby bozo Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:34 pm

» Mondo chillers
    Your thoughts on 12.1 Emptyby bozo Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:11 am

Navigation
     Portal
     Index
     Memberlist
     FAQ
     Search
    IRC Channel
    You can also find us on IRC's freenode.net as #suseunbound.

Your thoughts on 12.1

Go down 
    5 posters
    AuthorMessage
    bdquick
    Admin
    bdquick

Your thoughts on 12.1 Empty
    PostSubject: Your thoughts on 12.1   Your thoughts on 12.1 EmptyTue May 08, 2012 9:44 pm

Well 12.1 has been out for a while now and most of us that are going to install it have. I personally have found it to be very stable, and haven't had any major issues.

So what are you thoughts?
    Back to top Go down
    bozo
    Admin
    bozo

Location : Way out in the sticks in the Gold Country of California

PostSubject: Re: Your thoughts on 12.1   Your thoughts on 12.1 EmptyWed May 09, 2012 10:35 am

I've dowloaded it, but was going to put a new mobo/cpu that my son gave me in and install 12.1 at the same time; just haven't gotten around to it yet. I'd be glad to hear what anybody else has to say about it before I do. Any issues with the nVidia drivers?

clown
    Back to top Go down
    bdquick
    Admin
    bdquick

PostSubject: Re: Your thoughts on 12.1   Your thoughts on 12.1 EmptyWed May 09, 2012 9:54 pm

My video card had issues with the new KSM system, but its easy to override at the grub command line. Then you just have to do your research on which of the 3 nvidia drivers supports your card, but that is easy to find again.
    Back to top Go down
    bozo
    Admin
    bozo

PostSubject: Re: Your thoughts on 12.1   Your thoughts on 12.1 EmptyWed May 09, 2012 11:29 pm

Doesn't sound any worse than the old days, probably better. Smile And the old days really weren't all *that* bad, after you'd done it once.

clown
    Back to top Go down
    bdquick
    Admin
    bdquick

PostSubject: Re: Your thoughts on 12.1   Your thoughts on 12.1 EmptyThu May 10, 2012 11:16 pm

This darn new stuff makes my skills rusty, with its just working.
    Back to top Go down
    bozo
    Admin
    bozo

PostSubject: Re: Your thoughts on 12.1   Your thoughts on 12.1 EmptyFri May 11, 2012 4:30 am

I know what you mean, and my skills were never that great to begin with. Probably why I'm so reluctant to change.

clown
    Back to top Go down
    MattB4
    Old Regular
    MattB4

PostSubject: Re: Your thoughts on 12.1   Your thoughts on 12.1 EmptyFri May 11, 2012 6:52 am

Not really a fan of 12.1 I find that I prefer the 11.3 in terms of operation. My older computer I kept the 11 on and since my new computer came with Windows 7, I set it to dual boot with 12.1.

Firefox on 12.1 is dog slow to open for me. Now it is a newer version of Firefox than what I have on my older box. But under Win 7 the firefox opens in no time. So since my new computer is my browse box it mostly stays booted to Win 7.

It just seems that 12.1 has continued the slow trend for openSUSE to be more cumbersome and less understandable. Either that or my skills are beginning to get less as I get older. farao
    Back to top Go down
    https://suseunbound.canadaboard.net
    bozo
    Admin
    bozo

PostSubject: Re: Your thoughts on 12.1   Your thoughts on 12.1 EmptyFri May 11, 2012 11:31 am

Have you tried Opera? How does Firefox act once it finally opens? I use multiple desktops and just leave a browser open on one of them, so opening speed is not a factor. I've found myself using Opera as my primary browser most of the time. It doesn't seem to get along with Flash as well as Firefox, though, so Firefox is still around. Although since I upgraded to the newest Firefox it seems to have a lot of the same problems as Opera. What's a po' boy s'pose to do?

clown
    Back to top Go down
    MattB4
    Old Regular
    MattB4

PostSubject: Re: Your thoughts on 12.1   Your thoughts on 12.1 EmptySat May 12, 2012 6:56 am

Yes I did try Opera out and I guess I am just to much used to Firefox. I know that I could leave the Browser open. I just have a real old habit of closing any program I am not using. Comes from the early days of computers where having extra programs open caused reduced (stalled in many cases) computer operation.

I must admit, with things that just seem to work when it comes to programs and hardware, the knowledge and skill level is dropping for me. You need challenges to overcome to keep current.
    Back to top Go down
    https://suseunbound.canadaboard.net
    Freshmeadow
    Salamander
    Freshmeadow

PostSubject: Thoughts on openSUSE 12.1   Your thoughts on 12.1 EmptyTue May 15, 2012 8:50 pm

Greetings from Guelph, Ontario. I am running openSUSE 12.1 on an Asus K53U laptop with 4 gigs of ram, 2 relatively low powered AMD Brazero cores and Radeon graphics. ( My first new computer since the year 2000, bear with me for giving the specs! Smile ).
    12.1 seems to love this computer. Everything just works, and I find this release very stable. I have not noticed any speed issues with Firefox. I have also run 12.1 with the LXDE desktop on an EeePC 701 with no issues. I am very happy with this release.
    Thanks, Jim.
    Back to top Go down
    bdquick
    Admin
    bdquick

PostSubject: Re: Your thoughts on 12.1   Your thoughts on 12.1 EmptyTue May 15, 2012 10:20 pm

Can't say I've noticed Firefox being any slower on suse than in Windows 7. Out of curiosity are you using the 3.x series of firefox or the beta version that seems to change weekly and currently version 13.0? Could be caused by an addon too. I've tried Opera and Chrome too, but always come back to Firefox. They both work well, but I can't see a big difference and I'm just comfortable with Firefox.

Good to hear you're enjoying it Jim. Sounds like you got a nice laptop.
    Back to top Go down
    Freshmeadow
    Salamander
    Freshmeadow

PostSubject: Thoughts on 12.1   Your thoughts on 12.1 EmptyThu May 17, 2012 7:04 am

Thank you. The crazy thing is how much laptop prices have come down, I guess partly due to the poularity of tablets. The Asus has a 15" screen and only cost Canadian $379. A 7" EeePC in 2008 was $399!!!!
    I just put openSUSE 12.1 LXDE version on the Eee last night and it performs well on the tiny machine.
    Take care.
    Back to top Go down
    findoctr
    Gecko
    findoctr

PostSubject: Re: Your thoughts on 12.1   Your thoughts on 12.1 EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 6:51 pm

I liked 11.2 the best.

I upgraded from 11.4 to 12.1 and had several issues but in a fresh install on the same comp. things were better. I just finished a dual boot with XP on a dual core pent. and had major board issues with XP in that there were NO drivers compatible with the Intel 965 chip as I had to hunt them down and test before using. When 12.1 got it's turn, with the exception of a minor dvd mounting issue it went flawlessly and ALL hardware was fully functional upon completion.

SUSE seems to be getting more and more bloated just like Window$ but I guess that's just the way it goes.
    Back to top Go down
    Freshmeadow
    Salamander
    Freshmeadow

PostSubject: Thoughts on 12.1   Your thoughts on 12.1 EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 7:35 pm

findoctr, you should try using a net install cd from openSUSE. You can choose "Other" in the desktop selection screen and install a base LXDE desktop, like I did for the Eee. It comes in under 3 gigabytes installed and is fast as blazes.
    Jim
    Back to top Go down
    findoctr
    Gecko
    findoctr

PostSubject: Re: Your thoughts on 12.1   Your thoughts on 12.1 EmptyWed Jun 13, 2012 6:21 am

Quote :
    findoctr, you should try using a net install cd from openSUSE. You can choose "Other" in the desktop selection screen and install a base LXDE desktop, like I did for the Eee. It comes in under 3 gigabytes installed and is fast as blazes.

I haven’t had time to do much with suse lately and it pisses me off when I can't remember simple things about using it but I may try a different desktop on the next install.

In the past, to save time I have been purchasing from "OS Disc.com" or use the disc that comes with Linux Pro mag. but I down loaded 12.1 and burned it instead this time and that worked out fine.
    Back to top Go down
    Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Your thoughts on 12.1   Your thoughts on 12.1 Empty

Back to top Go down

Your thoughts on 12.1
    Page 1 of 1