SUSEUnbound
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
openFate
opensuse 11.4 available for download Fatelogo_small openFATE - openSUSE feature tracking
Similar topics
Latest topics
» Difference between 42.2 and 42.1
opensuse 11.4 available for download Emptyby findoctr Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:53 pm

» openSUSE Leap 42.1 ?
opensuse 11.4 available for download Emptyby findoctr Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:09 pm

» Happy Turkey Day
opensuse 11.4 available for download Emptyby findoctr Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:45 pm

» Happy 4th of July!
opensuse 11.4 available for download Emptyby bozo Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:56 pm

» It's been a while ...
opensuse 11.4 available for download Emptyby bozo Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:34 pm

» Mondo chillers
opensuse 11.4 available for download Emptyby bozo Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:11 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
IRC Channel
You can also find us on IRC's freenode.net as #suseunbound.

opensuse 11.4 available for download

Go down 
+3
bozo
MattB4
Tux
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Tux
Salamander
Tux

opensuse 11.4 available for download Empty
PostSubject: opensuse 11.4 available for download   opensuse 11.4 available for download EmptyWed Mar 09, 2011 2:20 am

For anyone interested 11.4 is alive on ftp.heanet.ie and possibly other mirrors too by now.
Back to top Go down
MattB4
Old Regular
MattB4

PostSubject: Re: opensuse 11.4 available for download   opensuse 11.4 available for download EmptyWed Mar 09, 2011 7:15 am

Thanks for the heads up and link! Smile
Back to top Go down
https://suseunbound.canadaboard.net
Tux
Salamander
Tux

PostSubject: Re: opensuse 11.4 available for download   opensuse 11.4 available for download EmptyWed Mar 09, 2011 7:30 am

I have it installed for a couple of hours now. All seems in place. There were a few hoops to jump through like the ati driver and flash was stubborn too.

For any ati users follow this guide

http://lizards.opensuse.org/2010/07/15/ati-hd57xxx-flgrx-drivers-under-11-3/

and for flash this one

http://lizards.opensuse.org/2010/12/17/adobe-flash-64-bits-under-opensuse-64bits-11-211-311-4factory/

So far the system feels very solid. Which after too iffy RC releases I have to say is very welcome. The packman repo is up and running too. So far so good.

Tux
Back to top Go down
MattB4
Old Regular
MattB4

PostSubject: Re: opensuse 11.4 available for download   opensuse 11.4 available for download EmptyWed Mar 09, 2011 7:43 am

Are you using Kde or Gnome? I take it your running the 64 bit version from your links. Perhaps you could give us a rundown of your setup.

Oh BTW, Welcome to the Forum! Cool
Back to top Go down
Tux
Salamander
Tux

PostSubject: Re: opensuse 11.4 available for download   opensuse 11.4 available for download EmptyWed Mar 09, 2011 8:29 am

My system is:
amd athlon 2 x4 - 630
radeon 5750 1GB ddr5
4gb ddr3
2 x 1 TB hdd - not raid
2 x dvd rw
asus M4A785TD-V-EVO - mobo
#all drives are sata#

dual booting

Windows 7 sp1 64 bit
openSuSE 11.4 64 bit kde

os run from sda1
ntfs partitions remain read only apart from one which i change ownership on in suse. Although I generally change fstab during setup as required usually.
Both os installs act as redundancy for each other (in theory).
Windows is mainly for gaming. Linux was for everything else as I don't play games as much as I used to.

I joined previously (tuxisity admin) but I forgot login and/or it was probably deleted Wink as I forgot to login for a while.
Primarilly I have used ubuntu but to be honest (canonical) are becoming a law onto themselves and change defaults as they please with little regard for users who have go used to certain setup defaults. If anyone has tried unity then well for me that was the last straw. I just don't like it. To be honest it's fine on a netbook but for a desktop it's horrible.
Gnome 3 however, although similar to unity or vice versa it is a lot nicer and looks and reacts a lot better. You can get a livecd from gnome which I think is suse based and for alpha (when i tried it) run very well indeed.

For suse I had initial errors in the install but it went on and installed. The failed packages were easilly mopped up in yast.
You may need to change the network manager as it defaults from what I can tell to ifup/down - change in yast after enabling knetwork manager if needed.
But as I say so far there is a better feeling to the who;e system than in the rc's.
Now just need to ask the question why suse uses a nice green wallpaper and the default blue highlights!
Back to top Go down
MattB4
Old Regular
MattB4

PostSubject: Re: opensuse 11.4 available for download   opensuse 11.4 available for download EmptyWed Mar 09, 2011 8:43 am

Yes, I recall that you were a member before. It's possible when we changed Forum hosting last year you did not get updated.

Interesting about your Radeon graphics. I have been wondering if the problem with getting them working was ironed out. I know it caused a lot of problems in the past for folks trying out Linux. Sorry to hear of the Ubuntu issues.
Back to top Go down
Tux
Salamander
Tux

PostSubject: Re: opensuse 11.4 available for download   opensuse 11.4 available for download EmptyWed Mar 09, 2011 12:36 pm

the ATI drivers 11.1 on now have a tear fix which has eliminated the tearing in video and generally on the desktop too. A huge improvement.
Back to top Go down
bozo
Admin
bozo

Location : Way out in the sticks in the Gold Country of California

PostSubject: Re: opensuse 11.4 available for download   opensuse 11.4 available for download EmptyWed Mar 09, 2011 1:46 pm

A new release! Maybe forum traffic will increase. Smile If not, I guess that might mean the new release is pretty solid? I guess I need to get ready to upgrade. The desktop is still running 11.0. Just need to wait for a little while to see if any problems pop up. Smile

Thanks for the head's up Tux. And the report.

clown
Back to top Go down
bdquick
Admin
bdquick

PostSubject: Re: opensuse 11.4 available for download   opensuse 11.4 available for download EmptyWed Mar 09, 2011 6:46 pm

Lots of things to search through on Tux's link. The direct link is

http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/ftp.opensuse.org/opensuse/distribution/11.4/iso/

I know have the 32 and 64 bit torrents downloading.

Or you can always wait the extra 10 hours or so and get the official link. My download won't be done in time to install today, but at least I can help out the torrent when the official rush hits. There are very few seeders right now.
Back to top Go down
bozo
Admin
bozo

PostSubject: Re: opensuse 11.4 available for download   opensuse 11.4 available for download EmptyThu Mar 10, 2011 12:15 am

You're a good man, bdquick...

clown
Back to top Go down
welan
Admin
welan

PostSubject: Re: opensuse 11.4 available for download   opensuse 11.4 available for download EmptySat Mar 12, 2011 7:36 pm

Haven't even downloaded 11.4 yet. I completely switch distro's awhile back so no big hurry for me. Will probably install it anyways just because...
Back to top Go down
welan
Admin
welan

PostSubject: Re: opensuse 11.4 available for download   opensuse 11.4 available for download EmptySat Apr 02, 2011 5:52 pm

Ok, after 3 installs(due to me breaking most everything) I finally have a fully functional 11.4 install.
The ATI drivers offered in the repo will not work with my new hardware so I'm using the open source driver and it works quite well.
After breaking things I was finally able to get my onboard sound working mostly(some games still have issues)
I've also noticed that some other pkgs. don't seem to function quite right such as ISOmaster.
Was a bit bummed to discover that "XMMS" is not supported in this release(odd that it included in the repos anyways) but on the other hand I have my "Weechat" back and working wonderfully bounce
There have been other pkg issues but the fixes are comming down the line(updates) quickly.
All in all I'll give the newest release 2 afro afro
after all it is pretty cool.
As always "Thank you for flying Penguin Air"
Back to top Go down
bozo
Admin
bozo

PostSubject: Re: opensuse 11.4 available for download   opensuse 11.4 available for download EmptySat Apr 02, 2011 6:13 pm

Thanks for the report, welan. No XMMS is a bummer. Sad

clown
Back to top Go down
Tux
Salamander
Tux

PostSubject: Re: opensuse 11.4 available for download   opensuse 11.4 available for download EmptySun Apr 03, 2011 7:05 am

Fotr ATI users there is now a working way to update to the latest ish ati driver using yast

http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:ATI_drivers#The_Easy_Way_.28GUI.29

It worked fine for me. Radeon HD 5750 and my mate using his 6850.

As welan points out there are some issues. Some just mad. My first install I ended up removing pulse and reverting to alsa. Seems Radeon HD cards built in audio becomes default. So you need to correct this via settings and mixer.
To me it seems I'm having more issues than ever with any linux distro. There appears no continuity or consistancy from one release to the next. The old issue of works now doesn't now does from release to release has finally become enough for me to call it a day. Seems to be pointless to have to boot back and forwards to a different OS to something the other can't do.

A heads up if you have a blu-ray drive. I have been unable to get any playback for blu-ray discs. Apparently this is possible but to be honest the hoops you need to jump through is beyond easy.
Back to top Go down
winxp-escapee
winxp-escapee

PostSubject: Re: opensuse 11.4 available for download   opensuse 11.4 available for download EmptyMon Apr 04, 2011 6:32 am

After prevaricating for a week or so I installed 11.4 on my production machine yesterday. Clean install, quickest ever, +- 20 minutes to desktop. Proprietary Nvidia drivers installed from repo without a hitch. Very slight chop in flash player dissapeared after flash update. Otherwise rock solid no other issues. I haven't made up my mind about pulse audio yet, seems an honest attempt to automate sound management for noobs, but interface is basic and options severely limited, otherwise sound is fine. I may end up having to junk it when I install Skype, as Skype does not work with pulse audio, also I need to see if I have sound when I connect up to the TV via HDMI. I've found the alsa/phonon/kmix set up in the past worked with everything.
Back to top Go down
welan
Admin
welan

PostSubject: Re: opensuse 11.4 available for download   opensuse 11.4 available for download EmptyMon Apr 04, 2011 8:35 pm

Tux wrote:
Fotr ATI users there is now a working way to update to the latest ish ati driver using yast

http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:ATI_drivers#The_Easy_Way_.28GUI.29

It worked fine for me. Radeon HD 5750 and my mate using his 6850.

As welan points out there are some issues. Some just mad. My first install I ended up removing pulse and reverting to alsa. Seems Radeon HD cards built in audio becomes default. So you need to correct this via settings and mixer.
To me it seems I'm having more issues than ever with any linux distro. There appears no continuity or consistancy from one release to the next. The old issue of works now doesn't now does from release to release has finally become enough for me to call it a day. Seems to be pointless to have to boot back and forwards to a different OS to something the other can't do.

A heads up if you have a blu-ray drive. I have been unable to get any playback for blu-ray discs. Apparently this is possible but to be honest the hoops you need to jump through is beyond easy.
This probably works for most ATI cards but.... I'm running 2 hd3470s in crossfire mode under the bios. For some reason this config just doesn't work with the linux driver. In order to use the driver I have to disable crossfire or just use the open source driver and get better frame rates etc. All in all the open source driver works much better.
Don't understand your issues with blueray...my "sony" works fine
Back to top Go down
Tux
Salamander
Tux

PostSubject: Re: opensuse 11.4 available for download   opensuse 11.4 available for download EmptyTue Apr 05, 2011 3:02 am

I can't get any blu-ray movie to playback. As a rom it works fine. I can access data but from what I've read movie playback is hard to achieve in most distros.
Were you able to play movie discs without adding mods and scripts ie insert disc and play?
Back to top Go down
welan
Admin
welan

PostSubject: Re: opensuse 11.4 available for download   opensuse 11.4 available for download EmptyTue Apr 05, 2011 3:14 pm

Tux wrote:
I can't get any blu-ray movie to playback. As a rom it works fine. I can access data but from what I've read movie playback is hard to achieve in most distros.
Were you able to play movie discs without adding mods and scripts ie insert disc and play?
Yes, just shuv the disc in and play. Now I haven't tried to rip any discs to file yet....thats where the problems will most likely rise up.
Back to top Go down
Tux
Salamander
Tux

PostSubject: Re: opensuse 11.4 available for download   opensuse 11.4 available for download EmptyTue Apr 05, 2011 4:22 pm

What player do you use? maybe that's where I went wrong
Back to top Go down
bdquick
Admin
bdquick

PostSubject: Re: opensuse 11.4 available for download   opensuse 11.4 available for download EmptyTue Apr 05, 2011 7:57 pm

I'm currently testing upgrading from 11.2 to 11.4 on my old laptop. Its still downloading all the packages. I'm not sure it will work since you are supposed to go up through the versions but seems like a waste of time Smile
Back to top Go down
bozo
Admin
bozo

PostSubject: Re: opensuse 11.4 available for download   opensuse 11.4 available for download EmptyTue Apr 05, 2011 10:21 pm

Let us know how it goes. I'll have to do the same thing (or clean install, of course).
Back to top Go down
bdquick
Admin
bdquick

PostSubject: Re: opensuse 11.4 available for download   opensuse 11.4 available for download EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 6:36 pm

Well this is my first boot into and seems to be working fine. Don't have a much time right now to play with it, but not scared to try it on my other machines after this. Even my broadcom wireless upgraded fine without me having to touch it.
Back to top Go down
bdquick
Admin
bdquick

PostSubject: Re: opensuse 11.4 available for download   opensuse 11.4 available for download EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 8:04 pm

Ok problems encountered. Realized I didn't have sound, that's not a big deal and should be easily fixed. Bigger issue, it would not shut down. No idea what's going on there.
Back to top Go down
limo
Old Regular
limo

PostSubject: Re: opensuse 11.4 available for download   opensuse 11.4 available for download EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 5:37 pm

bdquick wrote:
Ok problems encountered. Realized I didn't have sound, that's not a big deal and should be easily fixed. Bigger issue, it would not shut down. No idea what's going on there.

Hell no! I was just thinking about trying it! Such simple essential things should work out of the box!
Back to top Go down
Tux
Salamander
Tux

PostSubject: Re: opensuse 11.4 available for download   opensuse 11.4 available for download EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 5:48 pm

11.4 can be a bit temperamental.
make sure you run online update from yast before adding proprietary drivers on a new install.
Sound detection seems a bit odd. For me my 6790 radeon has sound which for some reasons 11.4 places as the system default. This needs changing in both the sound options and in yast for volume.
Back to top Go down

opensuse 11.4 available for download
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next