by bozo Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:11 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
IRC Channel
You can also find us on IRC's freenode.net as #suseunbound.

Share | 

It's almost here!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
bozo
Admin

Location : Way out in the sticks in the Gold Country of California

PostSubject: It's almost here!   Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:46 pm

OpenSuse 11.3 will be out on the 15th! sunny Anybody trying the RC? How's it looking? Should I plan to upgrade right away, or do my usual wait a couple of weeks?

clown

Admin

PostSubject: Re: It's almost here!   Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:36 pm

In the past I've always been early to install (before the official release) but this time I'm waiting...

Gecko

PostSubject: Re: It's almost here!   Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:05 am

I've ordered the disks and will do an update next week when the worst of problems (if any) will be fixed, or have a workaround.
I am looking forward to this release. From all reports it looks good.
Back to top Go down
stuntmanandy
Newt

PostSubject: Re: It's almost here!   Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:54 am

best to wait a while. still a few problems with 64bit stuff. Nvidia repo isn't available yet, some minor problems with packman stuff
Back to top Go down
http://stuntmanandy.homelinux.com
stuntmanandy
Newt

PostSubject: Re: It's almost here!   Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:22 am

update: packman now sorted.still no nvidia repo.64bit also sorted
Back to top Go down
http://stuntmanandy.homelinux.com
welan
Admin

PostSubject: Re: It's almost here!   Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:41 am

See here for nvidia and ati info; http://www.suse.com/relnotes/i386/openSUSE/11.3/RELEASE-NOTES.en.html#04

Old Regular

PostSubject: 11.3 not what I expected   Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:59 am

Well.. I am on 11.3 right now, it is not what I expected... let me list a few bad things I experienced (32 bit on lenovo 3000 n200).
1- Kaffeine from packman and some others, while installing says that the package does not know how to install...
2- I reinstalled but used ext3 filesystem and never activated nepomuk and strigi because on using them ext4 and nepomuk, every time I boot the machine I find in the root -> media .. my external usb drives duplicated (as folders) with names x-1, x-2,... etc... which causes me to reindex the new ones... this currently dissapeared when reinstalled with ext3 and no nepomuk
3- Dolphin seems to be buggy especially the search bar.. it never appears
4- Klipper, though selected "ignore selection" keeps copying my selection on firefox, as well as if I copied something I have to reselect it before paste
5- An important windoze "feature" apparently applied in 11.3, it freezes! Though it has been reported and solved manually some time ago it is not yet fixed with the update till this moment. (does this relate to my post http://suseunbound.canadaboard.net/general-f6/effect-of-novell-s-buyout-on-future-of-suse-linux-t63.htm#779 ?

I hope it will get better soon!
Back to top Go down
welan
Admin

PostSubject: Re: It's almost here!   Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:51 pm

hey, limo; glad to see your having so much fun with the current 11.3 release.
As for the mysterious inclusion of a random M$ feature (freeze ups on the desktop)
there are several cuases but not as many fixes listed. I'm running 11.3_x64 and with the now up to date nvidia driver all works well unless like me you like to know whats going on under the hood. Seems that the included nvidia settings RPM (256.35-0.pm.1.1) doesn't play nice with the current nv driver (256.35-15.1) Anyway this is just my little experience with it, as for kaffine I don't use it for media but have noticed it's not working right. still some other packages that need to catch up with the current release, but as always things happen in time...
Still glad to see your torturing the latest release... What a Face

Old Regular

PostSubject: Re: It's almost here!   Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:21 pm

Hi welan,... glad to hear from you...
well... believe it or not, I just came back from Kubuntu 10.04 after I lived on it for 3 days then reinstalled everything on my laptop from scratch.. but OS 11.2 this time not 11.3
Kubuntu seamed ok... I have to be honest. A bit more stable than 11.3.

As usual I felt a bit as a stranger, I don't belong there, though it is ok and feature rich.
Almost no difference as a user kde 4.x, no to Kubuntu's pros and cons
1- cons:
- internet keeps disconnecting (tried several solutions)
- the plasma applet (that peanut on the top right corner) behaves wierd
- keeps asking for wifi password
- Klipper keeps copying highlited text from firefox despite "ignore selection" is marked (as in 11.2, 11.3)
- the K menu almost empty, no games installed, no "my computer" on desktop (couldn't find a way to it to know kernel & kde versions.. etc.)
- no Yast
- slower boot time vs. opensuse 11.2, 11.3
2- pros:
- the package manager has something like history of installations and updates, through it you can of course uninstall even the libraries that got installed during installing a certain package (by time stamp) (similar to the 1-click- uninstall requested feature in FATE, but manual)
- you can add any debian package ( .deb) or repository from any other debian based distro (not like an rpm for fedora, another for suse... etc.

... what else? Nothing more as far as my 2 days experience with it other than the community seems very active, it is still a community as we lizards once knew it. Embarassed Mad Rolling Eyes

I still feel opensuse is still much better, still a cut above the rest. I believe - and maybe wrong - that most of the problems are kde 4 related

I feel opensuse needs few things to shine again:
1- give us our community back...the community as we knew it...
2- stop rushing and running after more eye candy, more features, more user friendly at the cost of stability and integrity (this is typical M$)
3- maybe this leads us to think.. why not keep kde 3 as another option for a while till kde 4 gets stable.

Don't ever forget, Novell Evil or Very Mad , "a stitch in time saves nine", I'm worried that continuing this way will end up with having millions of lines of code (the raw material of programming) full of bugs, which will make it non feasible to debug.

Sorry! I never intend to be harsh or aggressive to anyone or anybody.
Back to top Go down
welan
Admin

PostSubject: Re: It's almost here!   Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:18 pm

Limo, your honest reply and just plain telling us what you like/dislike speaks for it self. If more end users stood up and told the man(novell) what they really think then maybe just maybe we could retrieve our community back, or at least some of it. As for your adventures with kubuntu good for you! Testing other distro's is a great way to learn more about that mysterious creature "linux". This little forum will always be here and as I've said before as more users get tired of the same old same old on the "official" forum I believe we will see a major influx of user here.
In the mean time I'll keep the sardines stocked and I know Bozo has plenty of crackers on hand. Also when the influx happens I do believe we should coerce Mattb4 to brake out the corn squeezin's. affraid

Admin

PostSubject: Re: It's almost here!   Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:29 pm

KDE 4 does cause some of the problems. Some of them are from features moving and changing on us. And of course there is always our dislike of major change.

Old Regular

PostSubject: Re: It's almost here!   Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:59 am

I'm sorry if this looks like double posting.

But I'm not sure what I posted here should belong to here or there.

Perhaps we would need a thread to discuss "unbound linux" or "Limo Linux" Laughing , not only to discuss but also to do it.

I always believe "easier done than said"

Hope to hear from you guys
Back to top Go down
limo
Old Regular

PostSubject: Re: It's almost here!   Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:03 pm

bdquick wrote:
KDE 4 does cause some of the problems. Some of them are from features moving and changing on us. And of course there is always our dislike of major change.

This makes me wonder, what about the stability of 11.3 on Gnome and other desktops?

Can we narrow down or pinpoint the problem is in KDE? OpenSuse as OpenSuse... the kernel.. plazma... what is the cleanest and most stable combination...?
Back to top Go down
welan
Admin

PostSubject: Re: It's almost here!   Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:59 pm

Not trying to be funny, but...
The only clean bug free(or it seems to be) is a text only install. Very minimal but still very usable.
Oh, Wait I'm in GUI land here. Sometimes I forget that simple fact. I haven't done this with 11.3 yet but I usually try to do so as it gives me a clean build to start on. I then proceed to build the system to my needs. Leaving out most of the stuff "Novell" thinks we all need. I know I could just as easily go build a disc with the new service(the proper name escapes me at this time) but seeing that I build my systems different according to what they are used for,my main desktop system, home server,break.break install machine and so on.
The really cool thing is anyone can do the same. And you'll find that Opensuse is probable the easiest to do so with. I prefer to spend as much as my time as possible submerged below the GUI in the deepest darkest recesses of the CLI. Yes I occasionally surface to post here and take on provisions (sardines and other canned fish delights) Hope to be adding more to the howto's and extended doc's real soon.
Suspect

Old Regular

PostSubject: Re: It's almost here!   Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:46 am

Yes welan, I agree with you, opensuse is still the best, a classy cut above the rest.
Maybe as I suggested in the other post we should start a thread "11.3 tweeks" (here)

I like your idea about starting with a text only install and adding to it.. (but it scares me as I'm not that expert with command line)

What you think about starting the thread "11.3 tweaks" with a normal kde4 install and step by step... upgrading, downgrading, fixing.. etc... to reach the best possible 11.3?
Back to top Go down
welan
Admin

PostSubject: Re: It's almost here!   Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:50 pm

That would probably fit in the howto's or extended doc's. But yes it would be a good subject and maybe even helpful.

PostSubject: Re: It's almost here!   

Back to top Go down

It's almost here!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
SUSEUnbound :: Community - We hope you join! :: News-
Jump to: