SUSEUnbound
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
openFate
Ways you waste your time. - Page 2 Fatelogo_small openFATE - openSUSE feature tracking
Similar topics
Latest topics
» Difference between 42.2 and 42.1
Ways you waste your time. - Page 2 Emptyby findoctr Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:53 pm

» openSUSE Leap 42.1 ?
Ways you waste your time. - Page 2 Emptyby findoctr Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:09 pm

» Happy Turkey Day
Ways you waste your time. - Page 2 Emptyby findoctr Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:45 pm

» Happy 4th of July!
Ways you waste your time. - Page 2 Emptyby bozo Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:56 pm

» It's been a while ...
Ways you waste your time. - Page 2 Emptyby bozo Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:34 pm

» Mondo chillers
Ways you waste your time. - Page 2 Emptyby bozo Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:11 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
IRC Channel
You can also find us on IRC's freenode.net as #suseunbound.

Ways you waste your time.

Go down 
+4
FeatherMonkey
Alastairo
bozo
bdquick
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
MattB4
Old Regular
MattB4

Ways you waste your time. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ways you waste your time.   Ways you waste your time. - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 06, 2010 8:00 am

bozo wrote:
Looks like something you could hurt yourself on, therefore it's probably fun! Don't forget your helmet!

clown
Helmet?? I think the old leather one has rotted by now. Although some shades might be in order to keep the horse flies from impacting the eyeballs pirat Now if I should run into one of the neighbor's pig some protective gear like cologne might become necessary.
Back to top Go down
https://suseunbound.canadaboard.net
bdquick
Admin
bdquick

PostSubject: Re: Ways you waste your time.   Ways you waste your time. - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 8:52 pm

Well as some of you know I wasted a week up in Alaska. Will try to post some pictures later.

Got home, rested up, and went pulling a couple of nights. Had some bad luck Saturday night. Broke a lifter, which ruined the camshaft. After tearing into it, we found other lifters about ready to bust. Going to try and have it ready to run for this Saturday night.
Back to top Go down
bdquick
Admin
bdquick

PostSubject: Re: Ways you waste your time.   Ways you waste your time. - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 11, 2011 9:57 pm

Now I've found the time waster of Angry Birds. Got an Android phone over the weekend.
Back to top Go down
bozo
Admin
bozo

Location : Way out in the sticks in the Gold Country of California

PostSubject: Re: Ways you waste your time.   Ways you waste your time. - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 4:07 am

Good luck! Some friends got one of those new fangled things who say that after a month they still haven't figured out what all the buttons are for. Of course they aren't exactly technophiles like we here are. Smile I've managed to stay away from any sort of cell phone or pager (except FD pager, very basic). I still have a rotary phone plugged in. Comes in handy when the power's out and all the new fangled ones won't work. Of course, when I call a number and it says "Push 1 for English", I can't, and who knows what will come through next. I told myself for years I didn't want to do business with folks who used that sort of system, but it finally got too pervasive and I was forced to catch up a little and get a push button phone, or do business with no one. I couldn't even complain because I couldn't push 8 for customer service, or whatever.

I love it when somebody hands me their cell phone and says "Here, use mine. Just push the green button and dial." And I push the green button and dial, and all kinds of weird noise spew forth, and they grab it and say, "Not *that* green button! Oh, no, what happened to all my phone numbers!" They didn't say *which* green button! How was I to know?

Have fun wasting time learning to be more time efficient with the new toy! Smile

clown

P.S. I hit "Send" and got a message "No Post Mode specified". Huh? All I see is "Preview" and "Send"; no other modes available that I see. Fortunately, the post wasn't lost. I'm going to save it and try again. Maybe I can figure this out yet.
Back to top Go down
MattB4
Old Regular
MattB4

PostSubject: Re: Ways you waste your time.   Ways you waste your time. - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 7:29 am

I am a hopeless Luddite when it comes to cell phones. Though I do follow the trends in these all purpose gadgets with interest. There is no doubt that eventually they will be a persons constant companion. Always there to whisper in your ear the wisdom of the sages. There to record all things that happen to and around you.

With the tracking systems built in, eventually Society will know where you are and will make them mandatory from birth onwards. This to make sure you are not a unapproved computer user. Who knew the mark of the beast was the Apple logo? alien Laughing
Back to top Go down
https://suseunbound.canadaboard.net
bdquick
Admin
bdquick

PostSubject: Re: Ways you waste your time.   Ways you waste your time. - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 10:41 pm

LOL @ Matt's apple comment. One thing I've found the "smart phone" really handy for is looking at radars at tractor pulls. Nothing like sitting there with it looking rainy and trying to decide if you should unload or not. Of course the general rule is that it won't start raining until you finish lining up for your class. The change should also lower my monthly bill by $10. I have no elusion of this phone making me more efficient.

Once you get a cell phone though you won't want to be without. Can't tell you how many people I've heard say I'll never have one of those, they are pointless wastes of money. Then for some reason they get a cell phone and you can't pry it out of their cold dead hands.

I could live without the "smart" level of phone, but I don't want to. Its handy having the ability to settle friendly bets fast, email, and fresh bathroom reading material or gaming. The latter is especially handy at work where they frown on you taking reading material into the bathroom.

Back to top Go down
bozo
Admin
bozo

PostSubject: Re: Ways you waste your time.   Ways you waste your time. - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 13, 2011 11:45 am

Much the same functions I used to use my Palm for. Smile

clown
Back to top Go down
bdquick
Admin
bdquick

PostSubject: Re: Ways you waste your time.   Ways you waste your time. - Page 2 EmptyMon May 16, 2011 9:07 pm

Just found frozen bubbles in the Android Market, and of course its free. Yep this will help pass the time.
Back to top Go down
limo
Old Regular
limo

PostSubject: Re: Ways you waste your time.   Ways you waste your time. - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 24, 2011 11:16 am

In my case, findy time to waste is luxury Mad Mad
But whenever I find time, I keep looking for ways to find time to waste, searching for productivity, automation tips, software... etc.
Just to share some with you that really helped me a lot, I hope it will help you as well:
1- online text summarizer (you can customize summarization level, important words.. http://swesum.nada.kth.se/index-eng-adv.html
2- subject search spider to crawl the web and get ALL possible info on your search term, summarized with link to the original where it comes from, it helps me collect lots I'd spend long hours or even a day searching, reading, summarizing,... to do a report (or part of) http://www.kryltech.com/spider.htm. Unfortunately it is windoze only. I wish it is for linux.
3- google translate, that helps me translate long reports, better after summarizing (above online summarizer), but I have to fine tune what google summarizes, but at least it helps me take less time translating, much less.

By the way, it's been a long time I was thinking/ dreaming of a community to exchange help in doing office or research work. For example, I'm not so competent in word processing, I can upload a document someone can tidy it up, fonts, spelling check, alignment... etc. On the other hand I can receive a spreadsheet to do some calculations or extract results..

What you think about starting at least a separate topic about productivity, (as the 3 I mentioned earlier), knowledge management, document management... etc... to make life easier, provided that it should be based on personal experience with that software, website, ...etc.

What you think guys? If it is approved we can dedicate a section for the above 2 points... we may be really productive at least for the second part of hints and experiences. If the first part approved may be we should think of another forum or start it here, promote and invite others to join.

Damn... I'm so dull... so serious all the time

By the way, I have no tasks on hand, (I'm already here enjoyig the forum), it is just an idea that came to my mind during the heavy work days that caused me to disapear from here for some time.

What you think?
Back to top Go down
limo
Old Regular
limo

PostSubject: Re: Ways you waste your time.   Ways you waste your time. - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 26, 2011 12:16 am

limo wrote:
In my case, findy time to waste is luxury Mad Mad
But whenever I find time, I keep looking for ways to find time to waste, searching for productivity, automation tips, software... etc.
Just to share some with you that really helped me a lot, I hope it will help you as well:
1- online text summarizer (you can customize summarization level, important words.. http://swesum.nada.kth.se/index-eng-adv.html
2- subject search spider to crawl the web and get ALL possible info on your search term, summarized with link to the original where it comes from, it helps me collect lots I'd spend long hours or even a day searching, reading, summarizing,... to do a report (or part of) http://www.kryltech.com/spider.htm. Unfortunately it is windoze only. I wish it is for linux.
3- google translate, that helps me translate long reports, better after summarizing (above online summarizer), but I have to fine tune what google summarizes, but at least it helps me take less time translating, much less.

By the way, it's been a long time I was thinking/ dreaming of a community to exchange help in doing office or research work. For example, I'm not so competent in word processing, I can upload a document someone can tidy it up, fonts, spelling check, alignment... etc. On the other hand I can receive a spreadsheet to do some calculations or extract results..

What you think about starting at least a separate topic about productivity, (as the 3 I mentioned earlier), knowledge management, document management... etc... to make life easier, provided that it should be based on personal experience with that software, website, ...etc.

What you think guys? If it is approved we can dedicate a section for the above 2 points... we may be really productive at least for the second part of hints and experiences. If the first part approved may be we should think of another forum or start it here, promote and invite others to join.

Damn... I'm so dull... so serious all the time

By the way, I have no tasks on hand, (I'm already here enjoyig the forum), it is just an idea that came to my mind during the heavy work days that caused me to disapear from here for some time.

What you think?

Just a bump!
I know this is not really a linux topic, but linux can do a lot in productivity, in addition to the innovative, creative way of thinking linux gurus enjoy. If you see this is not the place to discuss this it's ok.
Back to top Go down
bdquick
Admin
bdquick

PostSubject: Re: Ways you waste your time.   Ways you waste your time. - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 24, 2013 10:33 pm

I was thinking about this topic tonight, as I was soldering a new battery pack into my old r/c truck. Doesn't seem like I have nearly as much free time, the last couple of years. The r/c stuff has set the last couple of years without even being touched. The pulling truck didn't get touched last year, because the parents were building a new house. Most of my weekends weren't spent down there helping with that or farm work. The r/c stuff is coming back out as something to do with my girlfriend's little boy. At least I have a reason to play with them again Very Happy

Hope everyone finds some free time to do something you enjoy.
Back to top Go down
bozo
Admin
bozo

PostSubject: Re: Ways you waste your time.   Ways you waste your time. - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 1:22 am

My problem is wasting too much time and then trying to play catch up. Sad If I was efficient, I'd have all kinds of time to waste.

I bet your GF's son loves the r/c stuff. Good for you spending time with him. Little boys need time with a good male influence. Got him writing shell scripts yet?

clown
Back to top Go down
bdquick
Admin
bdquick

PostSubject: Re: Ways you waste your time.   Ways you waste your time. - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 10:17 pm

Yeah I think he will once I get them all running. Think my nitro truck is ready to go this weekend. Have one of the "mini" electric trucks too, but its no longer reliable. Unfortunately it has also become a discontinued model, so hard and expensive to find some parts. That will teach me to wreck them and leave them set for 2 years.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ways you waste your time.   Ways you waste your time. - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Ways you waste your time.
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2