SUSEUnbound
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
openFate
Games you play.. Fatelogo_small openFATE - openSUSE feature tracking
Latest topics
» Difference between 42.2 and 42.1
Games you play.. Emptyby findoctr Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:53 pm

» openSUSE Leap 42.1 ?
Games you play.. Emptyby findoctr Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:09 pm

» Happy Turkey Day
Games you play.. Emptyby findoctr Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:45 pm

» Happy 4th of July!
Games you play.. Emptyby bozo Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:56 pm

» It's been a while ...
Games you play.. Emptyby bozo Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:34 pm

» Mondo chillers
Games you play.. Emptyby bozo Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:11 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
IRC Channel
You can also find us on IRC's freenode.net as #suseunbound.

Games you play..

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
FeatherMonkey
Old Regular
FeatherMonkey

Games you play.. Empty
PostSubject: Games you play..   Games you play.. EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 1:40 pm

Thought I would start a thread mainly as I've stumbled across spring so thought we could get a thread started.

Spring - Balanced Annihilator mod mainly. (rts)
Jag - Quite good (Bejewelled like nice graphics)
PySol - hundreds of solitaire games
BreakOut2 - Wall breaker
Scorched3d - Turn based artillery
Pokerth - poker
Astromenace - scrolling shooter
ChromiumBSU - " "
CrackAttack - tetris-bejewelled cross
gogui(cgoban online client) - go player using go engines or 2 on the same pc(become quite a fan of go over chess still a lousy player though, verdict engines are bad for learning gogui has really nice interface for going over games.)
DreamChess - really classy 3d chess gui takes most chess engines(i.e Gnuchess, crafty) default engine good for beginners

Less played or completed
Pathological - puzzle path and marbles
Enigma - " "
Einstien - Einstien puzzle game follow the clues to determine what is in where.
Pingus - lemmings clone
Globulation - rts interesting characters nice interface(spring wins more classical with greater resources of mods and maps)
UFO Alien Invasion - played a bit quite good but never got me completely turn based strategy

So post yours I need some other ideas Wink
Back to top Go down
bozo
Admin
bozo

Location : Way out in the sticks in the Gold Country of California

Games you play.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Games you play..   Games you play.. EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 10:51 pm

My solitaire game is Aisle Riot (Spider and FreeCell played most often);
KBoggle is a favorite Word game, seems to have been dropped since 11.0;
KMahjongg;
knetwalk for some reason fascinates me, the version distributed with KDE 4.3 is changed a little, some good and some not so good.
Ksudoku is a past favorite, but for some reason I don't play it much any more.

What I would really like is a good Crossword app that could use some of the downloadable crosswords from the online newspapers.

clown
Back to top Go down
FeatherMonkey
Old Regular
FeatherMonkey

Games you play.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Games you play..   Games you play.. EmptyMon Apr 12, 2010 9:44 am

Interesting problem bozo (Crosswords) I had a little play but have to admit the itch stopped.

i.e I found it really easy to get a pdf to html from there it would seem slightly trivial to go further I was tempted to go for a browser version mainly as it wouldn't of involved gui bindings.

1)Create the webpage from a pdf print version.
2)Get the crossword puzzle img(Black and white sqrs)
3)Count pixels in colour blocks to get the division (Then I was no longer itchy Wink )
4)Then I would of divided the image into tiles with convert .
5)Check tiles for majority colour
6)Then looped over tiles, coloured and turned on input where needed i.e a html table with an edit on test.html(sed probably or awk, but rexpr in your language choice)

So as I stopped getting itchy the little bit I got (Step 3)pretty sure I started with the printable from here http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/crossword/
Code:
#get image to check, and change pdf to html(Could be xml then use the xml bindings for your language)
pdftohtml -c -noframes path_to/filename.pdf test.html

#trim img
convert test001.png -trim +repage trim_repage.png

#get pixel division to get sqrs
convert trim_repage.png txt:- | awk 'BEGIN{FS=":";RS="black"}/white/,/black/ {a=(a=="") ? $0 : a RS $0 } /white/ {exit}END { print a} ' | awk '$0!~/^$/' | awk 'END{print NR-1}'

#Few steps missing... to tile where 15x15 would be the
#img_width/returned_pixels_from_above=rounded up
#img_width got from identify on trimmed pic.
#do this in a special folder or tmp.
convert trim_repage.png -crop 15x15@ +repage +adjoin trimsqr_%d.png

lots of regexpr sadly I find regexpr painful, and my awk skills are rudimentary at best. Still don't understand the regular bit of it, IMO its anything but regular.
Back to top Go down
bozo
Admin
bozo

Location : Way out in the sticks in the Gold Country of California

Games you play.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Games you play..   Games you play.. EmptyMon Apr 12, 2010 2:17 pm

Wow! affraid Thanks for that, but I don't think I want to do crosswords that bad. I share your pain about regexp, don't find them regular at all. And your awk skills far exceed mine.

I used to have a nice app in windows, but it lost support, and I never found another I really liked as much. A few papers have java apps that run in a browser, but with my connection it just took too long and I had to tie up the phone line while solving. Maybe I'll look for a windows app I can get to run in wine.

Thanks again.

clown
Back to top Go down
M3PH
Old Regular
M3PH

Games you play.. Empty
PostSubject: I'm not a linux user (permenantly) anymore but.....   Games you play.. EmptyWed May 12, 2010 6:59 pm

The linux games i played were:

ksolitaire
kmahjong
quake 4 (yes i played the linux version and yes it does run better than the windows version on the same kit)
doom 3 (same as above)

There was/is a game of which the name escapes me that was an online muliplayer alien shooter. It had HDR effects and everything. It was pretty fun and if anyone can give the name is well worth a download and play. Be warned you need a reasonably modern pc to play it (high end graphics card and atleast an athlon 3200+ cpu).

The windows based games i'm playing right now are as follows (these all require a gaming spec pc and a native windows install)

Battlefield: Bad company 2
Left 4 dead 2
Counter-strike: Source
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
Back to top Go down
bdquick
Admin
bdquick

Games you play.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Games you play..   Games you play.. EmptyWed May 12, 2010 7:08 pm

M3 was the alien game you are thinking of nexiuz?

http://alientrap.org/nexuiz/

It is quite fun. Haven't played it for quite awhile myself.
Back to top Go down
M3PH
Old Regular
M3PH

Games you play.. Empty
PostSubject: and after a quick google search...   Games you play.. EmptyWed May 12, 2010 7:49 pm

ok the alien shooter game was called alien arean 2008. i played the beta and early production versions. the screenshot of the later version i saw on google make it appear to be a much better developed product. There is also, what looks to be, a sister game called warsow. This has a cell shaded look (not a personal favourite of mine considering modern hardware is capable of rendering near cinematic visuals) but it does have good reviews, so it may be worth a go.

(got distracted and it's taken me a while to hit post. sorry if someone found the answer to my question)

Last edited by M3PH on Wed May 12, 2010 8:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
M3PH
Old Regular
M3PH

Games you play.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Games you play..   Games you play.. EmptyWed May 12, 2010 8:08 pm

BD, i have actually tried that game but the version i tried didn't seem to work correctly and had visual artifacts and glitches everywhere. It was definitely an earlier version than is currently available so those problems have probably been worked out. I never found it that entertaining though because i felt it didn't bring anything new to the table and was nothing more than an Unreal tournament or Quake 3 clone. Considering both unreal tournament and all the quake games have linux versions i felt that it was a bit pointless even if the afore mentioned games have a price tag.
Back to top Go down
bdquick
Admin
bdquick

Games you play.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Games you play..   Games you play.. EmptyFri Oct 15, 2010 8:35 pm

Ran across a new game tonight, that I hadn't heard of before called Sauerbraten. Looks to be a first person shooter game. Has some nice looking graphics from the looks of the sample video. If I ever get free time, I will check it out.

The have downloads for linux, windows, and mac.

http://sauerbraten.org/
Back to top Go down
M3PH
Old Regular
M3PH

Games you play.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Games you play..   Games you play.. EmptySat Oct 16, 2010 7:24 am

bdquick wrote:
Ran across a new game tonight, that I hadn't heard of before called Sauerbraten. Looks to be a first person shooter game. Has some nice looking graphics from the looks of the sample video. If I ever get free time, I will check it out.

I have played that one before but if i remember rightly it was pretty buggy. Again, if memory serves sauerbraten is a quake clone but because the emphasis is on designing and building the level you are playing on as you play it i couldn't get on with it. It was too fiddly and i expect better visual, configurability and a story line from such a system intensive game.

The linux port of Quake 4 was much more like it Wink

I've just noticed that all the games you've found recently i've played earlier versions of. Shame i don't have a list handy because i could save you time looking
Back to top Go down
bdquick
Admin
bdquick

Games you play.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Games you play..   Games you play.. EmptySat Oct 16, 2010 11:56 am

I just saw someone mention on another irc room, and I went to check out their website.
Back to top Go down
welan
Admin
welan

Games you play.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Games you play..   Games you play.. EmptySat Oct 16, 2010 4:52 pm

bdquick wrote:

Been killing myself in that game for a least 3 years now..."use both hands to part the corn" there's a whole big world out there BD.
Back to top Go down
bdquick
Admin
bdquick

Games you play.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Games you play..   Games you play.. EmptySat Oct 16, 2010 8:34 pm

welan wrote:
bdquick wrote:

Been killing myself in that game for a least 3 years now..."use both hands to part the corn" there's a whole big world out there BD.

My laptop doesn't have enough video card to play it anyway.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Games you play.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Games you play..   Games you play.. Empty

Back to top Go down

Games you play..
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
SUSEUnbound :: LIGHTEN UP! THE PLACE TO TAKE THINGS LESS SERIOUS. ;) :: General-
Jump to: